Expresso Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think BeeGee did the Lagunitas clone out of BYO, didn't you beeg? Search back thru this forum for coffee stout or cappuccino stout.

I brewed an espresso stout in October or November. Still have a few bottles left.

My personal recipe is on here someplace, but the basics of it are a slightly-sweet stout (high dextrin DME) with 16 to 24 oz of fresh brewed italian espresso. I add the espresso to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar.

How was it? Excellent. A bit too thick, but I'm going to adjust it next time to give it a little less body.

-walker

El Pistolero said:
I think BeeGee did the Lagunitas clone out of BYO, didn't you beeg? Search back thru this forum for coffee stout or cappuccino stout.
In fact, I did. It came out pretty well, but I felt it could have been better (my personal shortcomings, not the recipe's fault). I brewed espresso and added it a couple ounces at a time at kegging until it tasted about right. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with a couple more ounces beyond that as the coffee aspect has become quite subdued. An espresso stout or porter is definitely a worthwhile project IMO.

i did a coffee porter. i used 1/2 lb grounded coffee beans in the post boil steep for 15 minutes. very nice and scored a 38 at the Big Batch Brew Bash @ Saint Arnold's. the darker the bean the oilier the bean, so not so good for the brew. a nice medium roast works real well.

i've done a coffee porter, which was one of my best beers so far (actually a coffee chocoloate porter). i basically took a basic porter recipe, added 2X as much chocolate malt, and then used a 1/4 lb. of coffee malt. i was impressesd with the coffee malt, really had a nice flavor that i'd like in all types of darker ales. i had planned on throwing some espresso in the secondary, but as i transferred it i realized it was so good it needed nothing more. i'd reccomend trying the coffee malt for sure, and heed DB's advice about using an actual espresso roast, the oils will mess up stuff like head retention. i'd go with a nice medium or light roast, but still brew it with your espresso maker.

good to be back, i had to take a month off of brewing, but feel so much better now that i got 5 gallons of vanilla porter and 5 gallons of rye pale ale in the secondary.

Back