Cold crashing outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Since we're in the mid-upper 30s here, I'm thinking about utilizing the free "refridgeration". How long should I leave it outside and will the temp fluctuations matter? I mean fermentation is over so the yeast just need to drop...

I'd wait for an overcast day, throw it out there with a garbage can over it. Figure 1-2 days will be good. As long as the ambient is colder than the beer you are fine.

sirsloop said:
I'd wait for an overcast day, throw it out there with a garbage can over it. Figure 1-2 days will be good. As long as the ambient is colder than the beer you are fine.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna protect it from UVs. I'm not looking for Corona here...

I've been cold crashing in the garage where it's a toasty 39F by the front doors. Sure, why not. Just don't forget about it overnight if it's going to 20F.

In fact, I've been serving two beers out of picnic taps out there too. 7 kegs pouring right in time for playoffs.. woot.

Bobby_M said:
I've been cold crashing in the garage where it's a toasty 39F by the front doors. Sure, why not. Just don't forget about it overnight if it's going to 20F.

In fact, I've been serving two beers out of picnic taps out there too. 7 kegs pouring right in time for playoffs.. woot.

How long should I leave it outside? Are we talking hours or days here?

Funny - I just did this last batch. Here it's low 40's during the day, just above freezing at night. Worked great. I just threw a towel around the cboy to protect the beer from UV.

A couple days will give it time to settle, but overnight will be enough to cool it.

I've been crash cooling all my brews for 2 or three days in my unheated attached shed and have yet to have problems with freezing... in glass carboys, but not directly on the cement floor.

This weekend temps will be dropping below zero, so I'll probably move any liquids into the unheated front hallway, where temps have been right around 40-45 since December.

YMMV

Not sure what others have read but for a good crash cool they say 40's or lower for a minimum of 5 days. That is what I have seen, I on the other hand usually do 2 to 3 days and have nice crystal clear beer..My garage is about 40 now so it works nice..I keep all my beer in there as well.

Jay

I cold crash my kegged beers this time of year in my barn, which I keep heated to 38 F. I'm in the St Paul Minnesota area. The forecast for the high temp on Saturday is -1 F.

AiredAle said:
I cold crash my kegged beers this time of year in my barn, which I keep heated to 38 F. I'm in the St Paul Minnesota area. The forecast for the high temp on Saturday is -1 F.

In wisconsin by chance? I live in Menomonie, the home of Das Bierhaus.

GNB:

Nope, in Stillwater, which is enemy territory from your point of view. But I am a transplant from Massachusetts, so I don't recognize the old cultural rivalries like Vikings vs. Packers. To me the Patriots and the Red Sox rule.

Back