Problems with Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ausfernan

Reaction score
My last few batches of wine have come out smelling quite rancid and tasting almost as bad. I clean out all my stuff so I don't know if it's a bug or what. It's definitely VERY alcoholic but it just isn't really that drinkable. Any other possibilities that could be the cause? I used a Campden tablet before each batch, if that helps.

Ausfernan said:
My last few batches of wine have come out smelling quite rancid and tasting almost as bad. I clean out all my stuff so I don't know if it's a bug or what. It's definitely VERY alcoholic but it just isn't really that drinkable. Any other possibilities that could be the cause? I used a Campden tablet before each batch, if that helps.

Can you tell us what you used to clean and sanitize?

I sanitize clean everything with antibacterial soap, pretty thoroughly. Should I let it sit for like 15 minutes before taking the soap out or something? Maybe use bleach?

I sanitize clean everything with antibacterial soap, pretty thoroughly. Should I let it sit for like 15 minutes before taking the soap out or something? Maybe use bleach?

Cleaning is one step, and then sanitizing is another.

You can clean with oxiclean or with a commercial cleaner meant for brewing (like PBW). No soap!

For sanitizing, once the item has been cleaned and rinsed, then you can sanitize. Sanitize with a commercial food-safe sanitizer like star-san, Iodophor, or potassium metabisulfite (campden, in a stronger form). I would not use bleach, as it can create bad flavors in the wine.

Once an item is clean and sanitized, it can be used. Anything at all that touches the wine must be sanitized properly before using it. That includes all spoons and things like siphoning equipment.

Campden is useful in the must to kill bacteria before fermentation, but it won't prevent contaminated (unsanitized) items from causing infection, especially later on.

Back