winter brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico6115

Reaction score
What do u do differently in the winter. lager? is it easier/harder to keep temps for an ale, lager? do u get better tasting brews? i would think its a lot easier to raise a temp than lower like im doing right now. i would like some input because im lookin to get 2 new lager/ale kits for the colder weather. shanks a million:rockin:

I started brewing in february and I definately prefer the cooler temps of the winter. I condition inside during the colder weather and its much easier to keep a bathroom at a consistent 69-72º as opposed to getting upset when my garage jumps up past 75º and heads up towards 80 for a day or so.

I tell myself its only for a few days and its not *that* bad for it, but I know its not good.

I'm anxious for the winter! I started brewing in the summer. Once it gets really cold, I'll be able to move my fermenters out into my garage where I have more room! I think I'm going to hit it pretty hard this winter and just brew my ass off!
:rockin:​

talleymonster said:
I think I'm going to hit it pretty hard this winter and just brew my ass off! :rockin:​

Me too! Even though I've got a fridge/temp controller I'm planning on hitting it pretty hard when it gets cooler. BUT it never gets very cold in Corpus. :mad:

The only thing I plan to do differently is brew my heart out while the tap water is in the low 50's. No ice recirculation, wasted water, etc. I'll also move my fermentation freezer out of the basement (where it's a steady 68F in the winter) and into the garage (between 40-55F). See, I can ferment ales in the basement without the chiller and then do lager ferments in the garage. All I do is set the controller to 55F and put a small shielded bulb inside to keep the temps from dipping too far below the set point.

It really is much easier to warm a fermenter up a little than cool it down. Winter was the only time I've done lagers in the past. That will change when I convert the old kegger to a fermentation cabinet.

I brew different styles as I'm a big fan of seasonal brews. The summer was about Bitters and Hefe's, now I'm doing Porters and Stouts.

Back