UPS or FedEx?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPS or FedEx?

• UPS

• FedEx

• LHBS/rarely have anything delivered

Results are only viewable after voting.

libeerty

Reaction score
As homebrewers, we probably get deliveries more often than the average non-homebrewer. (My driver thinks I am an alcoholic.) Even if we use a LHBS, sometimes they don't have this or that, or are charging more for it, etc. So, my question is, which do you prefer: UPS or FedEx?

I almost always use Austin Homebrew, so my deliveries come from UPS. A few times a driver would try that bit where they put the notice on my door saying I wasn't there, without even trying first, but little did they know I wait by the window and run down as soon as I see them, so they quickly learned they can't pull that with me. Since then, I've had no problem with UPS.

FedEx, though... DAMN! Supposed to have a keg delivered on Friday, the driver said he tried to deliver it but he absolutely did not (I sit and do work by my window, and notice these things.) So they apologized and said Saturday... but they never showed! And now they are saying I will get it Wednesday, and during a window in which I won't be home because I'll be teaching a class. Bastards!

So, my vote is for UPS.

My preference is USPS. Their Priority service is cheaper than ground from UPS or Fedex and arrives in about 2 days every time. I also get way less handling damage (though the quicker delivery probably has a lot to do with that). If USPS isn't an option I'll go with UPS, since my local carrier is a pretty cool guy.

Amazon has started using a regional carrier called OnTrac for my Prime deliveries and so far they've been far superior to UPS, but I'm pretty sure they're bending over backwards delivering Amazon packages so they can keep the contract.

Aw crap, probably should have added USPS to the poll, but I'll frame this as a survey of only national, private delivery companies. :)

My USPS lady is looking for a slip and fall lawsuit, so I avoid USPS.

I should clarify that the quality of USPS varies WAY more than the other two carriers as to how good they are. At my old apartment I was ready to burn down the post office with how horrible the mail carrier and everyone who worked there was. The UPS guy there was decent, not great. My local post office now is great, though.

It seems like all I ever get is UPS and it seems they almost always completely suck. A few years ago when my wife and I bought our house we remodeled the entire thing. I ordered a couple of new toilets and a few large boxes arrived, but they weren't toilets. They turned out to be highly rare porcelain gravel. Regardless, I took them to Home Depot (I ordered from their website) and got them to get the toilets shipped to the store where I picked them up. It's amazing that something labeled as "Fragile" get's treated like luggage at an airport.

As far as brewing supplies/ingredients, I have to routinely check to see if it was delivered. They never ring the damn doorbell. Also, most of the time I go to work at 6:15pm. Strangely enough they always seem to "try" and deliver my packages after that time. UPS sucks and I rarely get anything shipped by FedEx (I can't think of a single time).

Even though it seems to take a bit longer I never have any problems with USPS.

It seems like all I ever get is UPS and it seems they almost always completely suck. A few years ago when my wife and I bought our house we remodeled the entire thing. I ordered a couple of new toilets and a few large boxes arrived, but they weren't toilets. They turned out to be highly rare porcelain gravel. Regardless, I took them to Home Depot (I ordered from their website) and got them to get the toilets shipped to the store where I picked them up. It's amazing that something labeled as "Fragile" get's treated like luggage at an airport.

Maybe UPS was trying to do you a favor. Put that porcelain gravel in your yard and the neighbor kids will stay out of it after a couple of them end up getting stitches.

I agree with a few others that if possible I go with USPS.

My UPS deliveries usually come right around 7pm, which is annoying. Then if I assume it'll get here in the evening and leave the house that's the day UPS comes at 11am and leaves a note.

I think I'm pretty lucky, though. I order a lot of stuff online and they usually leave it on the porch even if I don't answer. Stuff is usually in good shape and usually gets here sooner than I expected.

I love 'em all. OnTrac, too.

The Fedex driver that delivers to me is a homebrewer, so I went with Fedex. Plus Rebel Brewer uses FedEx mostly, and I almost always order from them. I don't trust USPS at all to deliver anything of value. I regularly get mail that was suppose to be delivered to my neighbors, even packages.

Fedex and UPS both will leave packages at my side door. Fedex always delivers in the morning but UPS may come at any time. I have even seen them making deliveries on my street after 8pm.

So mostly I prefer Fedex.

But, the shipper usually selects the company....

If I had a choice I would take the cheaper, whichever that would be.

I refuse to purchase from companies that only use Fedex for shipping. At my last apartment, I was the last building in the complex (almost a mile off the main road) and the driver would regularly drop my package at a random building in the front of the complex and mark it is delivered. It pissed me off to no end having to wait for whoever got it to bring it to the office and I'd eventually get a call from them. Apparently this was standard practice for Fedex in that complex...

I prefer UPS, I once ordered something non brew related and had it delivered to my work, because it as rather expensive. It s scheduled for a Saturday delivery, which my work is open 365 days a year. Long story short it wasn't delivered, so I called up FedEx and they said the driver said that the business was closed. Really ticked me off, because I was also working that day.

Its only a matter of time when USPS starts shutting down most of there delivery areas. Guys that use USPS should wait and see. Soon they will be shutting down Saturday mail delivery..

My vote is UPS

Maybe UPS was trying to do you a favor. Put that porcelain gravel in your yard and the neighbor kids will stay out of it after a couple of them end up getting stitches.

Thankfully the kids don't really venture into my yard. I would be the crotchety old man yelling at them though. "Damn kids! Get out of my yard"!

I prefer UPS thats who ends up delivering most stuff I order plus the delivery hub is 2 miles from my house so my stuff always gets left at my door by noon regardless if I am home or not

I don't have a strong preference. In my experience, the local outfit makes more difference than the overall company. I've lived in places where FedEx did a great job and UPS always punched holes in boxes for no clear reason, and I've lived in places where UPS was reliable but FedEx would somehow attempt delivery without my noticing despite my sitting by the front window at time time.

Where I am now, both seem ok.

Regarding the late deliveries, I think in many places they attempt to schedule residential deliveries to be late, since most people are more likely to be home after 5. We usually get deliveries between 6 and 7. It's annoying if you need it as early as possible, but I think it suits most people better.

UPS doesn't deliver any regular parcels at all on Saturday.

MC

I didn't say they did. What I was saying is everyone is raving over the fact that USPS delivers on Saturday. The fact is that UPS is taking more and more of the Post office deliveries because they have defaulted on government loans and are trying to cut costs. It is a matter of time that UPS will start delivering regular parcels on Saturdays after they take over the post office business.

I picked UPS because I have a really good driver on the route that my work is on.

overall I have had mixed experiences with all couriers.

I didn't say they did. What I was saying is everyone is raving over the fact that USPS delivers on Saturday. The fact is that UPS is taking more and more of the Post office deliveries because they have defaulted on government loans and are trying to cut costs. It is a matter of time that UPS will start delivering regular parcels on Saturdays after they take over the post office business.

Until then I still prefer the USPS.

UPS (IMO) is much more flexible on missed shipments - which is almost always the case for me, as they usually come while I'm at work. If you miss the shipment, they leave the slip and I can go pick it up myself that night. If you miss a shipment from FedEx, they won't let you do that and in my area (Philly) the closest place to pickup a FedEx shipment is a good 45m drive.

Well it looks like UPS is winning so far, which surprises me. UPS has angered me several times. FedEx has always delivered to me exactly as expected. The frustration comes from ordering an item online and having the vendor wait several days before sending it my direction. Once they do, though, FedEx is on it.

Also, they have the "Hold at FedEx Location" option (not sure if UPS does). Usually that'll get it there early in the morning. It also helps since I can't trust my neighbors not to steal packages.

FedEx, though... DAMN! Supposed to have a keg delivered on Friday, the driver said he tried to deliver it but he absolutely did not (I sit and do work by my window, and notice these things.) So they apologized and said Saturday... but they never showed! And now they are saying I will get it Wednesday, and during a window in which I won't be home because I'll be teaching a class. Bastards!

So, my vote is for UPS.

Up until just recently FedEx was like that at my place too. The driver used to walk up with the "delivery attempted" note already written and would usually just slap it on the door and leave, though he would sometimes knock very lightly wait 10 seconds and then slap the note on the door and leave. Now I don't see that drive around anymore and the very few fedex deliveries I get have always been fine.

Amazon has started using a regional carrier called OnTrac for my Prime deliveries and so far they've been far superior to UPS, but I'm pretty sure they're bending over backwards delivering Amazon packages so they can keep the contract.

I've noticed the same thing with Amazon prime packages also, a small panel van from OnTrac. The delivery guy is always extremely friendly and is here before 10:30am. I often get my 2 day prime items NBD as well assuming I order it early in the day.

Back