Back Sweetening Cider with Store Bought Cider Mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCBrewin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a cider (brewed 04-08-11) that I am planning on back sweetening soon. It has been cold crashed for about 3 weeks now @ 35 degrees. I was originally planning on to FCAJ, cinn sticks, and some maple syrup.

I opened the pantry today and saw the SWMBO had bought some packets of the ready mix hot apple cider stuff. Has anyone tried this?? I seems that maybe this, or a combination of this with other things, may provide just the spice level / sweetness that is needed. Any info is appreciated!

Also, for backsweetening - I am planning on kegging and keeping it cold, but I also want to bottle some. Should I use campden and sorbate? I heard that you could taste sorbate...

Thanks,
Ryan

I wouldn't do it. That cider stuff is about 95% artificial and I am sure would not taste as good as back sweeting with something much better like apple concentrate.

My recent experience went like this with a 23 litre Blackrock Cider can made from New Zealand grown apples:
Bugger the SG, the ferment (which had been a bit slow) was clearly nearly at an end. Tasted out of the fermentor: not bad, some sweetness, the wife does not want it any drier.
Decide to wait a day or two until I see some clearing at least part way down the fermentor. The intention is to go straight into a keg & refridgerate at 2 to 4 DegC.
We do that but the wife says half way through the siphoning: "I'd like it a bit sweeter".
Fair enough, I add 1.5 litres of supermarket bought (no preservative) apple juice to the keg & top to 19 litres.
After forced carbonation & only about 10 days aging, we sample:
It's OK, no weird or off flavours, a wee bit hazy still, a clean finish, some apple flavours, but its watery (my wife's description with which I agree), the sweetness is about dead right, best described as on the dry side of medium.
So backsweetening with apple juice works & is straightforward. I don't know if the juice was pasteurised but suggest there was not sufficient used to spoil any flavour; it's sometimes said that pasteurised juice results in an inferior taste.
I followed the kit recipe which called for 1 Kg of cane sugar - except I used 1/3 KG dextrose & 2/3 Kg of dark brown sugar instead.
Obviously the low temp at which I hold my kegs has stopped any further fermentation as you would expect.
What I'd really like to know is how next time do I get more of a taste kick, watery is definitely not good enough

Wondering, has anyone back sweetened/topped off in the secondary with any frozen juice concentrate made with water such as raspberry or blueberry? How much favor will import?

What I'd really like to know is how next time do I get more of a taste kick, watery is definitely not good enough

back-sweeten with concentrate... for that matter start the fermentation with some concentrate. in other words if you are using a jug of juice, add a can of concentrate with no extra water to get more kick, both flavor and alcohol. Then you can use more concentrate to back-sweeten and still add even more apple flavor.

Back