Newby Cider Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

najohns

Reaction score
Hello all. So, I’m a new brewer and my wife loves hard cider. I want to try brewing a small batch of carbonated sweet cider this weekend, so I’ve been reading tons of posts. I have what sounds like a decent recipe and I have a tentative plan of attack. I’d like to ferment in the primary, transfer to a secondary, cold crash at an FG that would leave a semi-sweet cider, rack that, bottle carbonate and pasteurize. I have heard that complete fermentations lead to less apple character. If I have an OG of say 1.060, what would be an FG that would leave sweetness and more apple character? Would the residual yeast and sugar left in the cider following crashing and bottling be enough to lightly carbonate the cider (I would be monitoring carbonation, of course), or would I need to add a small amount of priming sugar? I have read here that careful stove top submersion pasteurization at 140F for 10-12 minutes is sufficient to inactivate yeast. Any advice?
What if I wanted to rack my primary to a secondary with fresh tart apples. I know that I would certainly have a secondary fermentation, but how would this affect the flavor? How could I estimate the addition the apples would have to the gravity, so as to calculate %ABV and to know when to rack it off the apples and cold crash to still have a sweet cider? Thanks for any help. I’m excited!

My suggestion would be to keep your first cider simple. Save cold crashing and stove top pasteurization for later.

I have been brewing beer for many years but have only started ciders just a couple years ago. I had a similar inspiration to try to make it myself. My wife loves the stuff! I started simple and have changed my recepies as I went along.... always the same juice OLD ORCHARD brand and different amounts of sugars - sometimes brown sugar and cinnamon no acids anymore

1.060 starting and 0.997 ending -lalvin ec1118- WOW sour and dry. get the K,sorbate and sweeten it up or mix it with 7-UP.

final sweetness it is a fine line to walk , The sourness and dryness is a basic normal thing when letting the yeast finish totally out. I have given up fighting the general charcteristics of cider and just use potassium sorbate at the end.

and yeast nutrient is a must ! but starting at 1.060 might be too low for a 100% naturally sweet final product.

Back