Baltic Porter Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
I brewed a Baltic Porter using Northern Brewer's recipe. I did a long primary and racked it to carboys just to clear it up a little before kegging. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it's the best tasting beer I've brewed. Very chocolaty, very raisiny, smooth.

I was reading in Mosher's Radical Brewing that beers can lose up to half of their hop bitterness over a year. Does the same thing apply to hop aroma? In beers that will be aged for a long time, would dry hopping before bottling be a good idea? I know this is a very malty beer, but I thought the hop aroma might mellow with aging and be a nice touch. Any thoughts? If so, what hop would you suggest?

I don't think it's worth it unless you want a Baltic porter with a stronger than usual hop aroma. The hop aroma will fade, but dry hop aroma fades quickly as well so you really wouldn't be gaining long term aroma stability. If you are kegging (your post wasn't clear) you could certainly toss .5 oz of dry hops in later to boost the hop aroma if you notice it needs a little extra something.

I bottle from the keg with the BMBF I get the carbonation where I like it. That's good to know about the hop aroma fading quickly. I think I might dry hop 5 gallons and leave the other 5 like it is. Any suggestions on what type of hop?

I'm a big fan of Perle's aroma but I'm not sure if it works well as an aroma hop. I've seen it only as a bittering hop.

I'm a big fan of Perle's aroma but I'm not sure if it works well as an aroma hop. I've seen it only as a bittering hop.

Perle should work fine, although I've used it near the end of the boil, but not for dry hop. If you wanted to really differentiate half the batch you could do something like Simcoe, I really enjoyed Goose Island Nightstalker which is an Imperial Stout dry hopped with Simcoe (been thinking of doing something along those lines myself).

Back