Home made wort chiller ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Pete

Reaction score
I just made a wort chiller and have a question about the copper. This is probably the second time I've soldered something and my copper has turned a black color near the elbows where I solder. I've attached a picture so you could see what I'm talking about. Should I use some kind of cleaner or just buff it with a scotch pad to get rid of the blackness? I'm just worried it would affect the taste of my beer.

I tested it out for leaks and there's none :mug:

copper.jpg

Boil some water with the chiller in it, that should rinse anything off, and give you a chance to test how quickly it cools.

Barkeepers friend and a green scrubbie or a brass wire brush will clean it right up.

Perfectly normal discoloration during soldering. Any of the above for cleaning. A wire brush will also remove any rosin.

Awesome! Thanks guys. I ended up getting some Scotch Brillo cleaning pads. Things shiny as Russian gold!

Back