Commercial Beer into a cory keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietastersdnd

Reaction score
So I have the brew logic dual keg system at home. For the longest time i've wanted to add a commerical beer to my tap system. Has anyone ever connected a commercial tap to a ball lock system before? If so what did you do and how was the expierence? The other thing i'm wondering is if I can just pour the commercial beer out of its keg using a pump tap and pour it into my own corny keg. I wonder what the effect of the beer would be if I do this.

Any thought would be appreciated.

I think it would get pretty oxygenated and you'd have a keg full of wet cardboard tasting beer right off the bat.

Depending on where you're at, some microbreweries will fill a corny keg. I know Mac & Jack in Seattle will do that. You just drop it off and then pick it up full.

By far the easiest way to do this is with a normal sanke D tap (or whatever you need for whatever commercial beer you want) and then a parts list like this:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=152

You put the swivel nuts on your gas/liquid lines, and the 1/4" MFL tailpieces replace the tailpieces on your D tap, and then you just screw on whichever tap you need for whatever you're serving and you're good to go. This is what I do on the occasions when I want to switch back and forth. It's super easier once you buy the parts.

Depending on where you're at, some microbreweries will fill a corny keg. I know Mac & Jack in Seattle will do that. You just drop it off and then pick it up full.

Ok, I take it back, that's actually the easiest way to do it, but not all microbreweries will do this for you. And if you want anything that's not local to you, this obviously isn't an option.

YOu can rack from a commercial keg into a corny (be sure to purge the air from the corny in question) and do it under low pressure, like 3-4PSI, using beverage tubing. Then bring the keg pressure back up to your normal serving pressure. I have done this to rack from corny to corny with no issues. Or buy the kit like jaobrien linked, that works, too and is much less hassle. I did the keg to keg once also to get the last 5g out of a 15 to make room and get my keg deposit back.

Back