Basement Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zygote

Reaction score
Question: I want to brew a batch of beer (my first in 15 years and, have the memory of a crack baby, I've lost most the brain cells that held any info from past experiences) and I want to ferment in the basement (one of the reason that I stopped brewing, living in a 3rd floor apartment and not being able to control temps). But I am concerned with cooking in the basement on a propane burner. Any safety issues I should be concerned about? Also, how pervasive will the odor be? I've even thought of cooking outside and running a siphon tube thru the basement window vent to the fermenters. I believe hauling a full carboy down the steps is out of the question.
Also, I have a corny keg and CO2 tank, but no fridge. Unless it is cold outside, what is the best way to get the temp down to 60 or less so I can use the carbonation tables? Ice packs/bath?

Thanx for any help. This is a great forum. Can't wait to get my feet wet again.

BTW, I'm thinking of doing a bitter so I can play around with dry hopping. Any comments/suggestions would be helpful.

I just got my burner in the mail, and it answered the question about using it indoors. Maybe the siphon thru the window is the best soultion.

I wouldn't even think about using a burner in a basement, unless I had an awesome ventilation system. You are aware of carbon monoxide, right?

A siphon tube to the basement would probably work, but I'd just carry it carefully down the steps, myself.

You could put your corny in a bucket of ice to keep it cool, and dispense from a picnic tap. It'd be a pain to keep the ice topped off, unless you're talking about dispensing the whole keg at once (like at a pary or something).

Dry hopping: Throw whatever quantity of dry-hops you want into secondary. To filter out, cut a piece of grain bag, sanitize, and put it around the bottom of your racking tube using a sanitized rubber band. Do this when you rack to your bottling bucket or keg.

When I think of what would happen burning propane in the basement the only thing that comes to mind is Death. Carbon Monoxide poisoning in a hurry!

Why don't you go down to Wal-Mart and buy two single electric plate burners. $10 a pop. You could then do mini-mashes and make some good beers.

About the best you could do about your temperature is to follow Sam75's advice.

Sam75 said:
I
Dry hopping: Throw whatever quantity of dry-hops you want into secondary. To filter out, cut a piece of grain bag, sanitize, and put it around the bottom of your racking tube using a sanitized rubber band. Do this when you rack to your bottling bucket or keg.

Wish I had thought of that! Great tip Sam. Thanks.

Sam75 said:
...dry-hops ..into secondary. To filter out....

Filter out hops?! {using his best Yosimite Sam voice} Them's fightin' words for any true hop-head, sir! ;)

I would hate to be the one to say this is o.k. and then something bad happen to you so I will just state some facts...

There are propane powered heaters that are made for indoor use. These are commonly found in car mechanic garages.
Many houses have propane tanks which serve to heat the home and run stovetops and hot water heaters.

Those are just some facts but as I point these out, I might also add that these components may be designed differently from the burner you have in order to be safely used indoors.

I do use my turkey fryer in my garage but I have the garage door cracked open along with another door being open and I don't leave it unattended.

Thanks for all the help. I will probably get the strappy-carrying-thingy for the carboy. Will let you know how my Bitter comes out.

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
I would hate to be the one to say this is o.k. and then something bad happen to you so I will just state some facts...

There are propane powered heaters that are made for indoor use. These are commonly found in car mechanic garages.
Many houses have propane tanks which serve to heat the home and run stovetops and hot water heaters.

Those are just some facts but as I point these out, I might also add that these components may be designed differently from the burner you have in order to be safely used indoors.

Yes, that's a fact. And they all exhaust to the outside. A propane burner has no kind of exhaust manifold/duct whatsoever.

Back