Wheat malt extract percentages (wheat/barley)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_BREWERY

Reaction score
i have a heffe recipe which calls for 6.6 lbs of wheat LME (55% wheat malt and 45% barley malt) i can only find 65%/35% in LME. I was thnking about switching to DME where i can find the 55%/45% but i was wondering what is the difference between the two (65/35 vs. 55/45) regarding flavor profiles or other characteristics in the brew? and will it make much difference if i go with one over the other?

I don't think it will make much of a difference. If you want to stay true to the recipe. Go with the 55/45. but the 65/35 will give just a bit more of that wheaty goodness.

You could always go with 6# of the 65/35 LME and then .6# plane ol' 100% barley DME. But that is a lot of bother, and besides, what ya gonna do with the left over LME.

You could always make a starter with it the day before.

thanks for the info, thats kinda what i figured, since i'm making a clone i think i'll stay true to the recipe, or i'll make 2 batches one with 65/35 and one with the 55/45 and see if i can tell a big difference

thanks again!:mug:

wheat has a "spicy" taste. if you like spicy use more wheat, if your not such a big fan of "spicy" use less wheat. i'm just starting out, so i cant really answer your question but i have an american wheat ale in bottles right now. i used wheat DME at 65% wheat 35% barley.

Back