who has used russian river yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
got a few bottles of Russian river (finally) and I know they use a champagne yeast to bottle most of their beers but I'm pretty sure I have heard that some of their beers are bottled with out. any idea which are bottled with out?

image-1012028988.jpg

Pretty sure you can go to the RR site and get the specific batch details for bottle conditioning. At least you used to be able to.

Somewhere, probably here or themadfermentationist I read Supplication is the one sour of theirs not bottled with wine yeast. I stepped it up and the smell and characteristics of the sacc was pure Belgian to me. I brewed a batch using only a starter from it, but it's still hiding from me in the basement 3 months in.

i made an excellent sour with beatification dregs, stepped them up to 3 liters and pitched the whole thing into a 5 gallon beer. fantastic beer.

I'm currently stepping up a starter made from RR Supplication /JP Oro De Calabaza dregs. there's quite a bit of yeast at the bottom of the flask. Definitely active, still waiting to see how much of it is bugs vs residual sacc

I've been told by Vinnie that the Temptation is the best one to 'culture' his yeasts out of.... so I'd use that one.

Yes, some dregs from our sour beers will work. Temptation is usually the best as it doesn’t have any fruit. You can grow it up in some low gravity / low hopped wort and apple juice (unfiltered). The ratio is 1 part apple juice to 4 parts wort.

I used sanctification dregs on a gallon of dunkelweizen wort, no sacch added. 4 months and its quite tart, a little acetic and fruity with a little funk. Probably stepping it up tfo a 5 gal when i package it soon, since it tastes like its nearly done.

Quite sure theres no yeast in sanctification.

I used sanctification dregs on a gallon of dunkelweizen wort, no sacch added. 4 months and its quite tart, a little acetic and fruity with a little funk. Probably stepping it up tfo a 5 gal when i package it soon, since it tastes like its nearly done.

Quite sure theres no yeast in sanctification.

Huh? Am I reading this right?

You pitched Santification dregs, it soured, but there is no yeast in it? :drunk:

There is yeast in Sanctification, the Drie strain of Brett. It gets finished with bacteria in the fermenter and then a fresh pitch of Brett for bottling.

There is yeast in Sanctification, the Drie strain of Brett. It gets finished with bacteria in the fermenter and then a fresh pitch of Brett for bottling.

Is that what the "Dr. Dre Brettanomyces" is? And if so... is it the same as WLP644 - Brett B Trois?

I've been told by Vinnie that the Temptation is the best one to 'culture' his yeasts out of.... so I'd use that one.

I'd be concerned growing any of the dregs from his sours except Beatification, which isn't pitched with wine yeast. The strain they use, RP-15, is a "killer" and if you get it going it can kill any brewer's yeast you pitch. Not a huge deal if you are just dumping the dregs in, but not a great idea if you want to build up a starter and pitch it.

I'm making a 200ml starter for one bottle of Supplication dregs. Whats a good schedule for letting this ferment and stepping it up to larger sizes? (time to ferment and starter size steps)

Back