BierMunchers Cream of 3 crops - Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHY use Wyeast?
US-05 is his recommendation....I've used it with the best of luck.
I'd hesitate to spend an extra $7 on this batch for Little to NO Improvement.

Up to you though. Do post results if you go the liquid rout.

Um....I took this to mean that it was US-05...that's what I've been using.

Yeah- I went back and edited after checking the recipe thread. ;)

Grinder- if you have some liquid yeast washed from a previous cake, a Kolsch yeast would be nice...

1. I don't even know what US-05 is - can I get it from a local brew shop? I don't think I can. (sorry if that sounds stupid but . . . . )

I've only used White Labs and Wyeast thus - fear of the unknown.

safale05.jpg

Very easily found in homebrew shops. I usually have at least 5 packets on hand at all times.

Call - not on their website but they have it in stock.

NOW - not ever using a Dry yeast - pretty much like making a starter??

pretty much like making a starter??

Don't make a starter with dry yeast. You can either pitch it directly or rehydrate first (90 degree water, 10-15 minutes) and then pitch.

When I do this I'm planning to use a blend of US-05 and K-97 (that's Cali ale + Kolsch for those of you who aren't used to dry yeast lingo) and fermenting very cool. Fermented in the low 60's Kolsch produces a lager-like profile, and the Cali is just plain clean at just about any temp.

Have had great results with cry havoc on one batch and wlp001 on the second batch. Probably clearer with the wlp001.

US-05 is strictly an ale yeast. I use WL080, which is their Cream Ale blend. It is a blend of lager and ale yeasts, which will give the beer more of a Cream Ale character. It works great.

http://brewcrusader.blogspot.com/

So I too have been wanting to try out different yeast strains to see what happens. Do you recall what temp you had the fermentor at for the cream ale yeast? I have also been thinking of using WL San Francisco lager yeast and trying to ferment in the 60 F temp range.

S05, WLP001, 1056..
pretty much the same result. Great tasting beer for cream of three crops. WLP001 seemed to clear the fastest for some reason. That's my experience.

Back