New Book by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer Came In...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot that I preordered this book quite a while ago from the Brewingnetwork. It just came in today, and am I ever anxious to get to reading. Even got fortunate enough to get a signed copy. I am now off to the basement with a cigar and a reading light in hand.:ban: Anyone else get their copy lately?

I beleive I saw a blurb in this month's BYO about that.

Once you've torn through it, a review could be stellar. :mug:

I've ordered too and haven't got mine yet. I'm hoping it will be any day now. I'm interested in seeing how different it is from the podcasts and the BYO articles he does on styles.

Anyway, I was glad to support the BN and it will be nice to have all of that information in one place.

RLinNH said:
Looks like 80 recipes and a bunch of brewing tips.

Could you give me a brief summation of the Lambic recipe/yeast. Nothing super specific, I just want to get an idea if they've got anything revolutionary in there about sour beers. Thanks.

I just ordered it today. Doesn't look like you can get it through BN anymore, so I bought it on Amazon (clicking through the link on Basic Brewing Radio so SOMEONE doing a good podcast would get a kickback ;). I think it was only $14 or so, and Amazon always has free shipping when you drop $25 (and there was something else I've been meaning to buy anyway).

the_bird said:
I just ordered it today. Doesn't look like you can get it through BN anymore, so I bought it on Amazon (clicking through the link on Basic Brewing Radio so SOMEONE doing a good podcast would get a kickback ;). I think it was only $14 or so, and Amazon always has free shipping when you drop $25 (and there was something else I've been meaning to buy anyway).

That's what prevented me from buying it - the stuff I wanted to add to get my free shipping "didn't count".

landhoney said:
Could you give me a brief summation of the Lambic recipe/yeast. Nothing super specific, I just want to get an idea if they've got anything revolutionary in there about sour beers. Thanks.

How 'bout "Don't do an open fermentation in an apple orchard - that's CRAZY TALK!"

I got a copy yesterday. It is a good book with a real focus on making all the recipes beginner friendly while at the same time keeping them open for all-grain. I am pleased at first glance and know the recipes are as fine as you will come by. There is also a lot of information around each recipe, things like fermentation schedules, mash temps, yeast management. The authors have a real bias for fermentation control and specific ingredients chosen with intention. If you have $15 sitting around this would be a good way to use it!

landhoney said:

There is some great stuff on sour beers. Their Flanders Red is my next brew. It utilizes a great deal of specialty grain to obtain the character you want using easier, non-traditional methods. It is a winner! The recipe also took a gold last year in Denver at the Nationals.

I've had it for about a week. I read it the first night and have reread several sections over the past week.

How much you appreciate this book will depend on exactly what you're looking for. If you thought it might be Palmer & Zainasheff teaming up to write "How to Brew II" you'll be disappointed. Palmer's contribution is limited to the first couple of chapters and most of the appendices. He covers ingredient basics, extract brewing and partial mashing. Zainasheff contributes an appendix that is a lightly expanded version of his yeast starter essay on MrMalty.com.

In between are 23 chapters based on the BJCP styles. Each chapter includes recipes for each of the substyles within each category with a couple of paragraphs of commentary from Jamil. The commentaries on the key points for each style are invaluable if you plan on entering competitions or want to understand the finer judging distinctions between similar styles. Each recipe has won some sort of award for Jamil, so they are all proven competition winners. Each recipe is formulated as an extract+steeped grain batch. There are AG substitutions at the end of each recipe.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat conflicted about this book. I'm eager to try Jamil's recipes but would have really liked more of Palmer's homebrewing science. His contribution seems tacked on at best.

My other concern is about the recipes themselves. As noted in the commentaries and on Jamil's podcasts, he pushes the envelope on each style. It's a proven competition strategy. A bigger, hoppier, dryer, higher ABV, or more extreme version of a beer is going to get noticed in competitions. It might not be pleasant to drink more than one, but it's going to win medals because it stands out.

I can't say that I won't really enjoy the beers I make from this book. I haven't tried any yet. But I'm concerned about the trend of escalation where Jamil's influential recipes (or other competition style beers) become the new norm. Then brewers who are interested in competing have to create even more extreme versions. At some point a pleasant British mild is going to turn into a mutant hopped-out-the-ass IPA and no one will bat an eye. And just like purebred AKC dogs (with more recessive genes than the royal family) bear little resemblance to the happy mutts most of us have, these beers will have little or no relationship to what somebody might actually want to drink.

With that said, if you're looking for proven recipes for each and every BJCP style, this is your book.

Chad

the_bird said:
...(and there was something else I've been meaning to buy anyway)...

Gotcha.....

Leotards.jpg

I have tomuch****toodoism. I walked downstairs with a lit Bolivar Corona Gigante from 1998, and I noticed that I really should tend to the bottles in the Bleach Bath. Sooooooooooooo, I put the book and the Cigar down, and now here we are, quite some time later with my bottles in the dishwasher, a GREAT Cigar that is ruined, and a book that needs reading. So, once I get around to reading the book, you can bet that I'll post a review in the book section. Now, I need to go pick out what I am going to brew this weekend.:mug:

I have the book and really like it, but as far as lambics and "Sour" ales are concerned I prefer Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow.

Brewpastor said:
There is some great stuff on sour beers. Their Flanders Red is my next brew. It utilizes a great deal of specialty grain to obtain the character you want using easier, non-traditional methods. It is a winner! The recipe also took a gold last year in Denver at the Nationals.

I brewed that one several months ago, are the recipes just Jamil's winning recipes unchanged?
http://www.beerdujour.com/JamilsRecipes.htm
They aren't all listed there, and I'm sure there's more info in the book, but it would be interesting if the ones in the book were all just jamil's recipes unchanged.

He stopped posting new recipes onto the site when the book project got underway (he was putting them up with the new podcasts).

Let's step back a second, though....

Jamil Zainasheff has won awards in essentially EVERY beer category. You know what's crazy? He's been brewing, IIRC, for like seven years, tops.

More crazy? Started with Mr. Beer... :D

the_bird said:
He stopped posting new recipes onto the site when the book project got underway (he was putting them up with the new podcasts).
:D

I realize that, and will be buying( or receiving as a gift ) the book in part as a sign of support/gratitude to him for his help to my homebrewing. I was just curious if they were the same recipes posted and the same recipes he goes over in his podcast and will go over in the future.
According to his show schedule: "June 02, 2008 - Lambic/Gueuze/Fruit Lambic"
I don't want to wait till June ;) I'm getting the book.

landhoney said:
I realize that, and will be buying( or receiving as a gift ) the book in part as a sign of support/gratitude to him for his help to my homebrewing. I was just curious if they were the same recipes posted and the same recipes he goes over in his podcast and will go over in the future.
According to his show schedule: "June 02, 2008 - Lambic/Gueuze/Fruit Lambic"
I don't want to wait till June ;) I'm getting the book.

A lot of the recipes are the same ones he details in the shows. However, I got this book as a gift and absolutely love it. If I'm thinking about brewing a style it's a quick resource with nice recipes and all the specific information you need at a glance. It's sharp and to the point and has a ton of information cramed into a small number of pages. I think it's a definite need for any brewing library.

the_bird said:

Let's step back a second, though....

Jamil Zainasheff has won awards in essentially EVERY beer category. You know what's crazy? He's been brewing, IIRC, for like seven years, tops.

More crazy? Started with Mr. Beer... :D

Followed his advice on ales: Fermented 14 days at 63 F, then crashed to 34 F for 14 days. Kegged. Been 2 months almost, and still not brilliantly clear. I'm going to modify his technique: Ferment 10 days, crash with gelatin for 5 days, then to keg. I think this will work better.

Got in the book today. Looks good, but probably a lot more useful for someone who has not already listened to all of the podcasts. The first few sections I read, most of the information was stuff that I had already heard him talk about (including describing the use of lactic acid instead of lactobacillus in a Berliner Weiss as being equivalent to microwaving a steak). Lots of good information, just in a different media that may be redundant for people who already listen to the shows. Certainly doesn't replace Designing Great Beers as the "must have" book for developing new recipes.

I have the book and listen to his show and enjoy them both. I like JZ and have learned a lot from him, but at the same time I never take his advice as the end-all-be-all. I use what he says as a stepping stone and build from there. It's important to learn from others and absorb their knowledge, but at the same time you want to be creative, to experiment and to be an individual.
As JZ said, "Recipes don't make great beer, brewers do!"

Back