neglected CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in 4 months and my CFC has just been sitting in the basement. I plan on brewing this weekend and want to make sure that it is clean and sanitised.
I have star san and BLC. I was thinking of running the BLC through it and then the star san.
I ran boiling water through it before I put it up last.
Does this sound like a good idea or is there a better idea someone has?

OK.
I'm kind of embarrassed to say this.
I ran boiling water through my CFC.
I then mixed up a half gallon of BLC.
The things that came out were very scary!

Define "scary"? Could just be gunk, but if you left water or wort in the CFC, it's also possible the copper may have oxidized in places, creating flaky black stuff called verdigris. It's quite toxic. There may be means of confidently removing verdigris and allowing you to re-use the CFC, but since you can't see inside the pipes to know for certain, I would avoid using it entirely. My suggestion is replace.

I whirlpool with an immersion chiller for this reason. I can see and clean the outside. The tubing itself only acts as a conduit for cooling water which is never consumed.

There were chunks of hops I'm assuming along with just brown water coming out.
I ran the BLC through it several times.
I then made a little more BLC solution and it ran clear.
I then rinsed with 5 gallons of plain water. Followed by a star san flush.

Back