1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone's system is different, I used to do 5 week primaries for everything, but since switching to 1 gallon and having to keep the pipeline moving, everything gets a 2 week primary unless over 1.080 then its 3 weeks, and either bottles directly or racked to secondary if it gets dry hopped or is a giant beer that I want to bulk age for a few more weeks like my barleywine. Thats the time that I use to get the most out of my yeast(as far as diacetyl and acetaldehyde clean up) but still keep me with room to put new beers without a ton of primaries.

I'm up to 4 primary and 4 secondary and I usually have 3 of each full so that I can rack into one if needed.

Btw any one need any centennial or goldings. Not sure if they are ekg or us they woukd be free for pickup they are 2 years old and make great beer. They were vac sealed and frozen most of the time

Cheese - did anyone take you up on this? I am probably going to place an order this weekend for my first few (small) batches and was planning to get both Centennial and EKG actually.

I'm a little far for a pickup, but could pay shipping if it makes sense.

divrguy said:
Assuming your hoppier beers are higher gravity beers ( not always true.. I know) your one week in primary may be pushing your luck, they may not be finished.

Well, more like 9-10 days minimum, not a week. Plus I've never brewed a beer over 1.070 so not a huge deal.

Also... I'm starting to contemplate moving on from one gallon to 2 1/2- 3 gallon batches... Besides test batches. Im starting to struggle with demand, and I dont even drink my own beer!

Also... I'm starting to contemplate moving on from one gallon to 2 1/2- 3 gallon batches... Besides test batches. Im starting to struggle with demand, and I dont even drink my own beer!

I feel your pain, especially with giving everything away for the holidays. But considering what I paid to build my baby mlt, it will be a while before I do more than 1 gallon batches.

An alternative source for some 1 gallon all grain kits (yeast not included). Can't speak for these kits specifically, but the instructions with their partial mash kit was pretty good.

http://store.brooklyn-homebrew.com/Beer+Ingredient+Kits/1+Gallon+Recipe+Kits.html

Brooklyn Homebrew <> BBS

I haven't heard of that brew store before but their prices seem a lot more realistic than some of the other places selling 1gallon kits. For me its cheaper to do the math and scale down recipes but im lucky enough to be able to drive to a LHBS

Well, more like 9-10 days minimum, not a week. Plus I've never brewed a beer over 1.070 so not a huge deal.
That's ironic. I've done exactly 1 batch that has a finished abv of less then 10%. Though I think i will do some gingery stuff this weekend with a target around 4%. It would be kinda nice to have something I could drink without getting immediately smashed.

cheesecake said:
Yay brewing. Woke up late so I kay only get 1 batch done

I'm just waking up here 6am but I'm trying to get SWMBO up gently or else she'll come out of bed swinging lol

Leadgolem said:
That's ironic. I've done exactly 1 batch that has a finished abv of less then 10%. Though I think i will do some gingery stuff this weekend with a target around 4%. It would be kinda nice to have something I could drink without getting immediately smashed.

Wow if all of my beers were that high in ABV I wouldn't be able to kick friends out..lol

Got the mash going right now. Doing laundry and dishes and cleaning up all the destroyed dog toys from last night. (People for Christmas buy my dogs stuffed toys so it looks like a stuffing bomb blew up)

I got a race now but will be home at six to catch the Princeton basketball game on TV while brewing a Munich pale ale with my father. Crack upon a couple English bitters or cream ales also.

Bittering with Belma... Debating using Pacific Jade (NZ) or Centennial for flavor... Thoughts? Hmm and some Caliente (new variety) coming in the mail today for aroma.

1.065, 40 IBUs... Like mine a little maltier then most

I am going to do an all zythos ipa today, I am going to use 2 lbs Munich malt and some harvested kolsch yeast. Looking forward to tasting the hops,malt yeast combo. 1 gal batches are great for trying new things out.

done brewing. Just have to put everything back in its place and head out. have dinner plans for tonight so hopefully after that i can come home and brew the pale ale.

jtd_419 said:
Where did you order that from, i would love to try it out

Yakimavalleyhops.com .., should be in the mailbox when I get home and I can tell you what it's like when I get home

Supposed to be fruity in aroma... A tiny citrusy, but more stone fruit/peach, which is what I'm looking for. Also I heard licorice and cherry... And also not much flavor, more aroma

Just finished what felt like a marathon but actually didn't realize it was only 2:30. Started brewing at 9:30. Did a black IPA and actually wish now I did a bigger batch. I had a 1.75 gallon kit put together and didn't want to rush getting more grains together so I just went with it. Did a workout in between my 75 minute mash (Which I normally do anyway) But this time in between the boil I figured I would try to bottle as well. Small batch Coconut Porter and the small batch porter. So we only got two bombers out of the coconut porter one for me one for Rawk But I had about 10 ounces left So of course I drank it. Then another beer and holy cow.. forget how things just don't go as smooth when I drink and brew lol won't be doing that again..

Looks like no brewing tonight. Hit my numbers spot on. I love this new setup. Pump started making noise when I got to the chilling step. I emailed them and he is asking for pictures. So looks like I may not get to brew or ill have to change the way I brew.

cheesecake said:
Looks like no brewing tonight. Hit my numbers spot on. I love this new setup. Pump started making noise when I got to the chilling step. I emailed them and he is asking for pictures. So looks like I may not get to brew or ill have to change the way I brew.

Pump still under warranty?

Just finished what felt like a marathon but actually didn't realize it was only 2:30. Started brewing at 9:30. Did a black IPA and actually wish now I did a bigger batch. I had a 1.75 gallon kit put together and didn't want to rush getting more grains together so I just went with it. Did a workout in between my 75 minute mash (Which I normally do anyway) But this time in between the boil I figured I would try to bottle as well. Small batch Coconut Porter and the small batch porter. So we only got two bombers out of the coconut porter one for me one for Rawk But I had about 10 ounces left So of course I drank it. Then another beer and holy cow.. forget how things just don't go as smooth when I drink and brew lol won't be doing that again..

I had the exact oposite issue. With brewing and drinking. Drinking helped me relax and make less mistakes.

Woohoo! Finally brewing today! Amarillo Pale Ale, I'm pretty excited about using amarillo.

I'm also planning on using RO water because all of my beers seem to pick up this...plastic...taste. It could be phenolic, but 7 bad batches seems unreasonable. Had anyone else had this problem with city water?

Woohoo! Finally brewing today! Amarillo Pale Ale, I'm pretty excited about using amarillo.

I'm also planning on using RO water because all of my beers seem to pick up this...plastic...taste. It could be phenolic, but 7 bad batches seems unreasonable. Had anyone else had this problem with city water?

Water could be the culprit. Hers a link to pro brewer that talks about phenols. http://www.probrewer.com/resources/library/siebel-phenolics.php

Edit: a lot of this is tough to understand for me but I pick up some general things about water quality causing the smell/taste of plastic.

View attachment 42-phenolic.pdf

View attachment 43-phenolic.pdf

how does the city water taste when you drink it?

or, for that matter, DO you drink it?

Thanks for the info! Ended up buying spring water, ro water doesn't have enough minerals for beer without adding stuff.

nothing wrong with buying spring water for one gallon batches, but i have to say that would aggravate the snot out of me if i were boiling 6 gallon batches.

and, the "plastic" taste is one of the classic symptoms of a particular problem, but i need to look up which one, and that's going to take a while. will get back to you when i find it.

Just make sure your'e actually getting spring water. Some water companies (cough Coke and Pepsi) get their water from local taps so you may be in a similar issue.

My sanitation is super good, pretty much brew/bottle under a later of starsan. The flavor I'm coming up with is mostly prevalent as an aroma.
Tap water is good to drink, they only as chlorine, fluoride and something to get rid of red something? I figure of this batch turns out better, than spring water worked. If not, then I have an infection for some reason.

These amarillo hops smell amazing. I'll be buying a ton of them next year....

My sanitation is super good, pretty much brew/bottle under a later of starsan. The flavor I'm coming up with is mostly prevalent as an aroma.
Tap water is good to drink, they only as chlorine, fluoride and something to get rid of red something? I figure of this batch turns out better, than spring water worked. If not, then I have an infection for some reason.

These amarillo hops smell amazing. I'll be buying a ton of them next year....

how long were you in fermentation, and then in the bottles, before drinking?

sorry if you've already answered, and i missed it

how long were you in fermentation, and then in the bottles, before drinking?

sorry if you've already answered, and i missed it

Depends on the batch, but 2-3 weeks fermenting (sometimes I secondary, but not always) 2-? In the bottle. It seems to get a little worse with time, but levels off somewhere in the "still drinkable"stage.

Back