California Style Imperial Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sims_l22

Reaction score
I am going to brew a California Imperial Pale Ale. This will be my sixth homebrew and I want it to be the best. I will be changing the Nottingham yeast that came with the kit for the Smack pack Wyeast Imperial Blend (9093) liquid yeast and the yeast nutrient powder. This will also be my first full boil. I have a new aerator and 6 gallon carboy. Can anyone give me any more pointers to make this a good brew. Also should i double pitch the Wyeast yeast. Thanks:)

What is your expected OG? I'm willing to bet you can still use a regular ale yeast.

Whats the difference between an Imperial Pale Ale and an IPA?

Is your kit a Brewers Best IPA kit? If so, I have used WL California Ale Yeast and it has come out very well. If you don't like bitter beers, change the Hop additions to 1 oz Columbus at 60 mins and then put the 2 OZ of Columbus at 40 mins or space it where 1 oz is used at 40 mins and another 1oz at 20 mins.

Ha, I'm drinking one of these right now! (if it is the brewer's best Imperial Pale Ale Kit) It was brewed in June, bottled in late july, and is now really coming together. Not very bitter or hoppy. It started out at 1.070ish and finished around 1.020. So it still is kind of sweet, but it has a really malty backbone. I'm enjoying them more and more each time I open one.

Back