I can't decide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
I just got my hands on a 1 year old refridgerator that is going to replace my old Kegerator. The dilema that I am having is whether or not to install my 3 taps on the front door or the side of the fridge. I have tap handles that are pretty tall. If I want to put them on the front door, then they will be high and block the freezer door. If I move them down then it does not look right. So now I am contemplating puting them on the side of the fridge. Any comments?

Seems like side of the fridge could work well in some aspects, such as the one you mention plus the fact that you could use the door shelves for bottles, yeast, and such without interference.

If you want to keep the long taps, I would put them on the side. I think blocking the freezer would start to be a pain after a while. Other alternative would be to get the shorter black generic taps. You could get them pretty high in the door and still not block the freezer door. This is the way I'll be going, when I put my taps in.

I do have the black tap handles as well. I was also thinking that by putting them on the side of the fridge I would not have to mess with hoses attached to the door every time I open it......which really would not be that often.

Do you think if you drill holes from the fridge up to the freezer and running them that way, and cranking the cold air to divert to the fridge?

usmcruz said:
Do you think if you drill holes from the fridge up to the freezer and running them that way, and cranking the cold air to divert to the fridge?

I like the idea, but the only problem I see with that is I cannot control the freezer temp. It is not a very classy fridge. I would worry about the beer freezing in the line in the freezer,

anthrobe said:
I like the idea, but the only problem I see with that is I cannot control the freezer temp. It is not a very classy fridge. I would worry about the beer freezing in the line in the freezer,

Just as long as you get that rubber pipe wrap your lines wont freeze. Its the same stuff they put on the pipes of off grade houses so they wont freeze. Just a suggestion

usmcruz said:
Just as long as you get that rubber pipe wrap your lines wont freeze. Its the same stuff they put on the pipes of off grade houses so they wont freeze. Just a suggestion

Keep the suggestions coming:D

anthrobe said:
Keep the suggestions coming:D

watch when you drill into fridges because sometime there are coils that may run on the side of them.

the side thing would work. i kinda like the idea of not having to struggle with feed lines when you open the fridge door.

i'm having to find a way to use some taps m/ wife got me for Christmas. they're too tall and don't shut off because they hit the freezer door at the top of the handle. i've been looking for some 1/4" spacers, but haven't had any luck......

Thanks for everyones input. I have decided to mount the taps on the side of the fridge. I was calling around to my LHBS looking for shanks and faucets. The one guy I know well told me about a retaurant/bar supply outlet store less than two blocks from my house. This place is a gold mine. I got 3 new SST faucets for $13 a piece, a 3 faucet drip pan with drain for $30. They only had 2" shanks so that was not going to work. Just looking around in there, I found the best deals. There was a Chrome beer faucet tower with hoses and everything with 2 faucets for only $110. I had to go to the LHBS for my shanks which cost me $20 a piece. I now feel ripped off from them. I think that I might have to start shopping around more.

usmcruz said:

It's called donkey for reasons that should become obvious when you see it! :)

DeRoux's Broux said:
sweet deal anthrobe. there's a market price for every hobby hu????

You know it!! OK, another question. I have seen many kegerator setups. I see some with the CO2 tank on the inside and many with it on the outside. Any reasons why besides saving room on the inside?

nope. just haven't drilled a hole in mine to run the gas outside. it's better for the gauges too, if it;s outside the fridge.

Well, the beer fridge is complete, with the exception of the CO2 hose routing and connections. New pic is in the gallery.

AHammer16 said:
Looks nice, but you need a snazzy paint job on it like your last one.

I know, this one seems kinda dull compared to the last. It just takes a whole lot of work to paint a fridge like the last. Maybe when I get caught up on brewing and the house.

Anthrobe, I was researching various kegerator options and ran across this thread. Nice job! For anyone that has done this, did you have any problems with drilling on the sides of the fridge for the taps and CO2 lines? I've heard that you have to be careful about hitting refrigerant lines that run on the sides? Thanks.

I think lots of modern fridges use coils in the sides to give off heat. If there aren't any coils on the back, be suspect. I'd go with holes in the door, just route the hoses to the hinge side, using some kind of loop/tie strap.

Back