Feelin funky Critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
A friend of mine made some lemon lavender cup cakes and it got me thinking about beer. Here is my plan. It's a 2 gallon batch
2lbs wheat dme
1lbs light dme
1 oz bramling cross 60min
.25 tsp lavender 5min
2 tblsp lemon peel 10 min
safale 06

Lavender is tricky. Sam Calagione, at Dogfish Head, has written about making something using lavender, that was awful. I've read that it can easily dominate the flavor. I think that a 1/4 tsp. is probably the right amount to start with.

I've never used lavender, but I'd be worried that (like a lot of aromatics) you might ruin it by boiling it. Then again, I don't know if that's the case for lavender. You might consider making a lavender "extract". Soak it in vodka to extract the aroma and flavor, and then use something like a graduated cylinder with an existing beer, adding small measured amounts at a time until you find the concentration you like.

I've used lavender one other time it was awful. I used way too much.

I did a lavender imperial red that turned out great. It was a ten gallon batch so cut it in half if you are doing a fiver. If my memory serves me correctly (It is written down somewhere but I moved recently) I did 1 tablespoon at flame out and 1 table spoon into the secondary fermenter. Good luck!

I brewed this Saturday. The sample tasted awesome can't wait to drinl one.

Back