Where To Buy Grains??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good source for 50# bags of base malt grain where the shipping doesn't kill you. I've looked at Williams Brewing and More Beer which have good prices for the grain, but the s&h almost doubles the price with no quantity discount. I wouldn't mind buying several bags if I could get some kind of discount on the shipping. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Also, what's the best way to store the grain. I will be keeping in a basement, but it is in the south close to the gulf coast. Thanks.

Anywhere cool & dry, and rodent free. Basement in rubbermaid tubs and/or food-grade buckets is great. I just keep it in it's original bag in a rubbermaid tub.

Do you have a local homebrew shop? That's where I get mine. Prices aren't as good as Williams, etc, but no shipping. And still far better than buying by the pound.

Edit: See this thread for storage:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/bulk-grain-storage-315259/

50poundsack.com is about the best I have found when you figure in shipping too.

I wish Northern Brewer had a store in every state. I'd drive an hour or two and pick up $150+ of grain (at $37-50 a sack) every few months. My LHBS charges $60 for a sack...nearly the same price as the pound price multiplied up. Shipping kills most heavy items...group buys rule but ours happen about twice a year. Next time I'll have to save up $400 to have enough grain to make it through.

Other than a group buy which may or may not be an option. You or someone you know who is making a trip to or in the vicinity of one of the cheaper homebrew suppliers could pick up what you want. For "shipping and handling" homebrew is usually a good commodity. I'm in the same boat as you and have no good LHBS nearby that offers cheap bulk grain. I'd like to take a trip to Midwest Supplies but that's a 9+ hour drive, which negates the cheaper prices with the cost of fuel.

Before I did a group buy, I ordered about 55lbs of various grains from Morebeer for about $60 - free delivery too. Worth checking out.

Latest posts

Back