Starter advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am brewing the AHS Belgian ABT 12 quad. Last night I made a starter with my Wyeast 3787 Trappist high grav yeast. Used 1/2 cup of light dme and 2 cups of water as per the instructions I found here in one of the stickies. Trouble is, I was sober at the time, and forgot to top it off with water after the boil. It is bubbling a bit after 24 hrs, but no krousen yet. My question is, should I top it off now, or just let it go? Your collective wisdom is appreciated!

i think either way would work... i'm sure you know to make sure it's nice and sterilized if you top off. FWIW, my starters never really krausen, they foam up when swirled, but that recedes to a few bubbles (and some nice lacing :ban:) quite quickly.

That's exactly what my starter did when I swirled it earlier. The last starter I made took off and krousened up over night. I haven't used this yeast before however, so I wasn't sure what was normal. I think I'll just leave it go, and enjoy some home brews tomorrow during our brew session. In about a year, we'll see how the beer tuned out. Thanks for the advice!

Back