Water Quality Report - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have no idea what this stuff means...if any of you experts can decipher this and offer advice I would appreciate it..immensly. What styles of beer does my water lend itself too? Should I be adding gypsum for my pale ale recipes? etc..etc..

FargoWaterQuality.jpg

there isn't really anything of relevance there,is that the total report? you want the sodium,sulphate,chloride,magnesium,carbonate and calcium levels.what you have just looks like a small part of the report

I have no idea what this stuff means...if any of you experts can decipher this and offer advice I would appreciate it..immensly. What styles of beer does my water lend itself too? Should I be adding gypsum for my pale ale recipes? etc..etc..

FargoWaterQuality.jpg

This is a "quality/health" report. All it tells you is that the water is safe to drink. There is almost nothing in these types of reports that pertain to brewing. Read the stickys about water in the Science section as well as the water sections in your homebrewing books. You do own some good homebrewing books, right? Request a report from the Fargo Water Dept that shows all the mineral ion concentrations or send a sample to Ward Labs. :mug:

I found this:

The softening process design is based on a consistent finished water total hardness of 120 milligrams per liter (mg/L) and a magnesium hardness not exceeding 40 mg/L

Back