Anyone Brew Jamil's Lagunitas IPA clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
Hey Y'all

I probably, well more like definitely will be making Jamil Z's Lagunita's clone and I was a little concerned about his hop bill... He claims his is almost dead on and even sources close to the brewery say so too... but... He uses exclusively Willamette hops.

Here is the Recipe for a 10.75g batch
90min boil

I won't post the grain only because I know that Jamil's recipe I got from Beerdujour so I don't think I have permission but... here is the hop schedule.

Hops
4oz. Willamette Whole 60 min. (I'll be putting in 3.75 pellet hops)
2oz. Willamette Pellet 20 min.
2oz. Willamette Pellet 10 min.
4oz. Willamette Pellet min.
4oz. Willamette Pellet Dry Hop

Any thoughts...

Whats wrong with all Willamette hops? I think they have a wonderful flavor an aroma.

The only thing I would change if doing it myself would be to use a clean high alpha hops for the 60 min addition. But thats only because I'm cheap :)

Craig

So it will turn out fine with all Willamette right? The reason I ask Is beause i just orderd 3 lbs of hops and one happened to be Willamette...

there's nothing _wrong_ with using all Willamette; it just won't taste like lagunitas' IPA

If you want it exactly like the Lagunitas I would follow the can you brew it recipe. I followed their recipe from the west coast IPA show exactly and its still aging- but when I transfered it off of primary it was dead on. Or as dead on as an uncarbed green IPA can taste like.;)

OK, I need to check my supply of Willamette hops (home grown). If i have enough an all Willamette IPA may be in the works. Or atleast all the late addition hops will be Willamette, I obviously don't have alpha numbers on the Willamette so will probably use some Magnum for bittering.
:D
Craig

I will make the All willamette version and I also have a hop rhizome growing right now or my Willamette. Maybe I'll make another one later on in the year if i really like this one..

so is the finished version of this really spot on or what? would like to make a spot on/REALLY close clone.

I just brewed the recipe that Jamil got from Jeremy at Lagunitas. My brew ended up quite a bit darker at about 13 SRM. Has anyone else seen this?

I mashed right at 158 for an hour.

I just brewed the recipe that Jamil got from Jeremy at Lagunitas. My brew ended up quite a bit darker at about 13 SRM. Has anyone else seen this?

I mashed right at 158 for an hour.

I mashed at 157, undershot my OG by a few points. The color and flavor came out as expected, very close to LIPA. I was very pleased with the beer. although the hop aroma began to run off 2 to 3 weeks after I first tapped the keg.

Cheers,
Glenn

I recently brewed this recipe. I pretty much hit all the expected numbers. But most importantly, the side by side comparison with the real thing was essentially identical. Mine was a tad cloudy, which I've come to expect in dry hopped beers with no filtering, but taste, color and bitterness were spot on and awsome.

I was scared of the 158-160F mash temp, but it worked just fine.

I'm going to brew this weekend. I love this IPA, but I want to up the IBU and flavor and aroma a bit.
I have Magnum and Pearle in the freezer, so that is why I included those.
I don't have any experience with Summit, but I increased that for bitterness and moved to 45 min for some flavor.

Is this safe, or should the summit be left alone and I instead adjust elsewhere ?

Style: American IPA
TYPE: Partial Mash
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

5 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Wheat, White (Cargill) (2.9 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) (Add at Flame out)

0.50 oz Magnum [13.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min (Sub for Horizon)
0.30 oz Summit [17.60 %] - Boil 45.0 min
1.00 oz Willamette [4.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz Perle [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min (Leftover in the freezer)
1.25 oz Cascade [5.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
0.25 oz Centennial [8.10 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
0.75 oz Centennial [8.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Mash 11.01 qt 155.0 F 60 min
Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.41gal, 1.53gal) of 169.0 F water

Back