First Wort Hopping vs Mash Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
ok...i know what mash hopping is, i'm not real clear on FWH.

i've never done either, does anyone do it, and does it make much of a difference doing an IPA?

The effect of FWH is subjective. I think it does lock in a considerable flavor and aroma contribution.

To FWH you add hops to the kettle and run-off the mash over those. Meaning, they are hot steeped throughout the period of time it takes to run-off the volume and then bring it all to boil.

I think it also provides a very slight increase in IBU totals.

I do it every brew now. IMHO the bitterness added is mellower. The flavor and aroma added during the steeping period(while you run your wort over them) is most likely boiled away after 60 minutes, but I guess you never know.

I mash hopped a couple of times, meaning I put 1.5 to 2 oz. of hops in the mash right after dough-in. I didn't experience any significant difference, I felt like it was a waste. Now FWH makes a big difference for me, I like the milder bitterness.

Eastside

sweet, thanks for the input, might do a FWH on my next IPA.

Back