Thinking of doing a Falconer's Flight Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
I bought a half a pound of Falconer's Flight hop pellets and haven't done anything with them yet - I was originally going to do an IPA but now I'm thinking about just splitting them up and getting two batches out of them.

I haven't done a saison yet and it seems the guidelines for the style are a little bit looser than some of the others, so I wanted to see what you guys and gals thought of my recipe.

Basically I'm looking for something light and summery that will showcase the yeast and hops...

6.0 # Franco-Belges Pilsner malt
2.0 # Vienna
1.0 # Flaked Wheat
0.5 # Corn Sugar

0.25 oz. Falconer's Flight @ First Wort Hop
0.75 oz. Falconer's Flight @ 15 min
1.00 oz. Falconer's Flight @ Flameout

Wyeast 3711 French Saison

1st time I've heard of Falconer's Flight. What's the story with this variety?? As far as the recipe goes, I would kill the 20 minute addtion and move it to 10 minutes and bump up to 1-2 oz (although I have NO idea what this hop is like). 1 oz flamout looks good. Consider sub-ing some corn sugar for the Pilsner (~ 5% sugar).

Falconer's Flight is a blend that includes Citra, Simcoe, Sorachi Ace and a bunch of other Pacific Northwest style hop varieties. (They don't tell you what all is in it...) I didn't want to use noble varieties in this, so I thought it might be a cool substitution.

I like your suggestion on moving the 20 to 10 and bumping it. Is your corn sugar suggestion just to dry it out a bit? Thanks for the reply!

If I add a half a pound of corn sugar and don't change the grain bill otherwise, I'm a touch over 5% and still within style guidelines on the OG / potential abv. I think I'm going to keep my 0.75 oz. hop addition the same amount but move it to 15 minutes.

Yup.. I typically include 5-10% sugar, either turbinado or corn, to my Saisons for the dryness factor. 3711 is a very hungry yeast so if you mash anywhere near close to 150F and add 5% simple sugar, you will get down to 1.006 or lower in a heartbeat.

Was thinking 149-150 for the mash temp. Also considering dry-hopping but I'm not sure yet. I don't want too much hoppyness competing with the yeast, would like it to be balanced between the two.

I took a sample of this yesterday - down to 1.006-1.008ish after just 1 week! I'd have to agree with the description for this yeast that states that it leaves an unexpected silky mouthfeel, despite the beer being dry. Tastes pretty good, kinda reminds me of Northern Brewer's Patersbier too.

I think I want a little bit more hop presence though & I'm thinking about dry-hopping this either in the keg or in primary for a few days & then kegging it. Just exactly as it is though, I think it would be great kegged. I'm happy!

Back