Grolsch-type bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
So I've been buying a bunch of Grolsch 4-packs because of their cool self-capping bottles, but I was wondering - does anyone know if they will last for long periods of time? Or will the rubber wear down after a few batches? I'm feeling optimistic 'cause they're like 2 bucks each and I hope I'm not wasting my $$

The rubber seal may begin to break down if its exposed to vigorous heat and light, thus drying and cracking. For all practical purposes your bottles should last many batches. Dont worry.

Your biggest problem will be that when you give your homebrew away, you may not get your bottles back. Sneak a few cheap bottles in there for your "forgetful" friends. In addition, if you want to enter competitions in the future, many of them do not accept the Grolsch type bottles, only bottles with bottle caps on them.

Prosit,

All good points. I have well over 100 Grolsch bottles myself.

I'd like to add that when I soak my bottles (I use bleach) I remove the gaskets beforehand. This will retain some life in the rubber so you can reuse them several times.

The biggest indicator of remaining life is the ease of closing the bottle. If you can close (cap) it without too much force then the rubber groove is probably too compressed and you should replace the gasket to get a good seal.

I also tend to bottle a 6 pack of brown 12 oz bottles (in case of competition) as well as another 6 pack (usually green) in case you give some away. Like tnlandsailor said...we all have forgetful friends. Actually, I reuse green glass for giveaways. I REALLY don't care to get these bottles back. I usually get them from friends or if I travel and pick up some local brew. I reuse the bottles.

you can get replacement tops and gaskets at your local HBS or on-line. try EZ-Cap? i think they are the one's that make new 20oz hinge top bottles. can get them in brown or green (i bought a case of brown from my local HBS a few years ago). much easier than capping all those 12 oz buggers! Oberdorfer Weiss bottles work good too. i think they are 22 oz? but brown, thick, and work great.

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Brewer 99, what do you sanitize the gaskets with, if you remove them from the bottle before bleaching? :confused:

when i used those bottles, i just sanitized w/ my regular iodaphor as i sanitized the bottles. you could use bleach, many do, but it needs to be rinsed really well.

just my $0.02 worth.
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Back