BeerBug Review - Early build impressions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have made some refinements and improvements. I bought one a couple weeks ago and have used it once. I like it so far. I like that I can check what's going on with my beer from anywhere. I ramped up my ferm temp at the end of fermentation and I was able to check from work how long it took to go from 65*-70*. I thought that was pretty cool. I'm going to do a more extensive review on it once I've used it in a few beers.

It would be sweet if you could control the fridge temp online, too.

That's what I was doing , I can get back on it soon . I may have to wait til the funds are available to continue.

I am using a web server and communicating with my temp controller. So essentially you log into a password protected site and are able to monitor and control your temp from anywhere with Internet access

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

That's what I was doing , I can get back on it soon . I may have to wait til the funds are available to continue.

I am using a web server and communicating with my temp controller. So essentially you log into a password protected site and are able to monitor and control your temp from anywhere with Internet access

Sounds like the BrewBit (http://www.brewbit.com) also there's a thread on it here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/new-temperature-controller-brewbit-417306/

I actually have both the BeerBug and the BrewBit and I'm tinkering with a way to get both of them to play nice together so that they can share a temperature probe.

Robert

I have both a BrewBit and a BeerBug... They really are 2 difference purposes... BrewBit is temp controller... It monitors AND CONTROLS temperature and nothing else. BeerBug just monitors gravity readings and temp. You get no control with BeerBug. Just monitoring capabilities.

Yeah similar to the brewbit, keep in mind this is a personal project and not aimed at becoming a product. Plus I have a basic controller running and I have only invested around $60 and my time .

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

I received my beer bug yesterday. Was able to successfully blinkup and have a wifi connection. However whenever I try testing or start a new brew I get the msg "Is your brewbug awake". I do have it in high activity mode by pressing the button. No idea what to try next. I emailed the company through there online contact form and received an auto reply back. Also when screwing in the elbow that holds the airlock I cracked the case. I think I turned it in about 3 mayb 4 full twists. I am going to have to see about getting a new one of those. Put some silicone on it for now. Also I have had it plugged in to an ipad wall charger all night and the battery indicator is still showing red (still charging i think). $300 is a fairly pricey, and for something that doesn't work right out of the box ... well I guess will have to see how there support works out.

Back