Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aiko

Reaction score
Im thinking of doing a Maple Wheat next and I was wondering if anyone has ordered some good raw maple syrup off the net? I dont want to use the crap bought in the stores, I want the real stuff that works good for making beer.
Any sugestions?

Hi Aiko-

I live in New England, near the VT/MA border, and the best deal is to buy it straight from the farmer.

The Armstrongs are local folks, they have a farm stand on Rt 7 (probably going crazy right now selling pumpkins) and are nice people who will sell you the good stuff for a decent price. Call them at 802-442-6715

If that doesn't work out, check out http://www.nofavt.org/stands.php

Hope this helps.

You may be able to buy some decent maple syrup in the grocery store (depends on the store I guess). My local store sells some grade A syrup from Vermont, which I've used in a maple wheat brew before and it was excellent. As long as it's graded (A or B) and not that artificial stuff, then I'd say you're good to go.

Sorry, no help for website suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I tried Central Market and I refuse to pay $22 for 8oz of Grade a "medium". I went on line and ordered a 1/2 gallon from a farmer in VT,Couture's Maple Shop, paid $32 (including shipping). Have plenty left over for the family to enjoy on their pancakes!
Thanks for the responses.

I bought a quart of grade B at Trader Joe's this weekend for I think $18. If you don't have a Trader Joe's, check again in two months, they are opening left and right.

I have one maple beer in primary today. In general, on pancakes, I prefer the fuller more developed flavor of grade B to the lighter plainer more sugary less maple-ey grade A syrups.

Hmm...I don't know much about finding grade a maple syrup, but the ads on the top of this sight seem to be relevant. One to a vermont farmer and the other to some maple syrup directory.

I'd be interested to try maple syrup. I've heard it's good for priming too for that extra maple flavor. First though, do you know of any craft brews out there that I could try?

About the grades for Maple Syrup-- Grade A is more pure sugar and is lighter in color. Grade B is less sugary, darker, and has more robust Maple flavor. Many New Englanders prefer grade B, and gently laugh at the tourists paying a premium for grade A. In fact, if you can get stuff thats below grade B, and still has a few twigs and leaves in it, THAT is the REALLY good stuff.

Well, I took peoples advice on where to order the REAL the maple syrup and have started drinking my brew. I have to say it is the best ever beer I ever brewed! I got the recipe from Clone Beers book and did a extract version. I gave some away for Christmas and everyone is banging on my door for more! I just started a 2nd batch but had to change up on the hops this time because I couldn't get what was in the recipe. Still should be OK (I hope).
It's a nice clear dark amber color, nice frothy head, and when you drink it you can get a good maple aftertaste. I also caution people because it came out to about a 8.2% ABV! I highly suggest this beer to everyone! Thanks for all the help from the HBT.

Back