Not a happy customer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedHopHead

Reaction score
This morning I see that Northern Brewer is offering 20$ gift cards if you buy a Blichman floor burner during a 24 hour sale. Well I just ordered a Blichman floor burner from them 7 days ago. I called them and asked them to honor me with the 20$ gift card, and was declined. They said it was too long ago to honor. Really?! A week is too long?
I then asked the customer service guy what if I order another one today and return the one I bought last week (which has shipped but hasn't arrived yet) I would still get the gift card then right? Of course he said yes, and I said then why not save us all the trouble and just honor the 20$ gift card? Was told they still can't do that.
I am very disappointed with Northen Brewer! Last time I make any purchases from this company.

Well... really, I think you have to look at a bigger picture here. All companies, ever, only offer incentives (like sales or $20 gift cards) in order to increase sales. Giving you $20 isn't going to increase their sales, it's only going to cost them $20. Ideally, any company would prefer to make such an offer only visible to people who haven't yet purchased from them, and might. This is actually what Facebook is all about - selectively targeting customers for advertising.

The bottom line is, if you want the cheapest price you have to play the game. If everyone got the cheapest price, the cheapest price would have to be higher, or companies would lose money. Sales incentives don't work if it doesn't make you buy more stuff. Grocery stores could just mark down their products for everyone, but they make you use the coupons, because some people won't. If you're going to swear off Northern Brewer because they act like every other company in the world, then you might find you quickly have no one to buy from.

Really? All major retailers have sales. If you buy it today and it goes on sale tomorrow... Oh well.

That is your problem not theirs.

I do as much shopping as I can at establishments that consistently have the lowest prices.

What if the situation was reversed and you bought the burner 7 days before the price went up. If NB called you up and said "it's only been a week would you mind sending us an extra $20?" woud you?

Your complaint is childish. Just enjoy the fact that you have an excellent burner in route.

You didn't buy when their offer was valid. Why do you expect to receive the promotional gift card?

I understand how frustrating it is for something to go on sale after you've purchased it, but you aren't entitled to the gift card, so why act as though you are?

Why not send yours back and take the $20 card that you earned when you bought a new burner during the actual sale period? They already said they would do that for you...

Too bad you're going to stop using them for something that's not their fault. Seems kinda silly IMHO. But, there are always alternatives. To each his own. I like phldogg's analogy. It's right on.

This morning I see that Northern Brewer is offering 20$ gift cards if you buy a Blichman floor burner during a 24 hour sale. Well I just ordered a Blichman floor burner from them 7 days ago. I called them and asked them to honor me with the 20$ gift card, and was declined. They said it was too long ago to honor. Really?! A week is too long?
I then asked the customer service guy what if I order another one today and return the one I bought last week (which has shipped but hasn't arrived yet) I would still get the gift card then right? Of course he said yes, and I said then why not save us all the trouble and just honor the 20$ gift card? Was told they still can't do that.
I am very disappointed with Northen Brewer! Last time I make any purchases from this company.

Boo Hoo.

Do you show in in January demanding stores honor Black Friday deals too?

:rolleyes:

I would have to pay for the shipping back to NB so not worth it. Bottom line, I get items price adjusted all the time when something goes on sale. In fact I just had a bookshelf price adjusted at Target. It is really about the fact that I would have spent way more at NB with the 20$ gift card and the excellent customer service would have continued my business with them. As it stands now it will be taking my business elsewhere. Over the long run NB will lose much more $$ from me than the meager $20 gift card for a purchase which I had known was going to offered on special I would have waited a week for to order. It's all about keeping the customer happy and keeping their business isn't it?

Why not send yours back and take the $20 card that you earned when you bought a new burner during the actual sale period? They already said they would do that for you...

He would have to cover return shipping costs because his reason for returning wasn't defective merchandise. Shipping an item that size insured would probably be about $20.

I would have to pay for the shipping back to NB so not worth it. Bottom line, I get items price adjusted all the time when something goes on sale. In fact I just had a bookshelf price adjusted at Target. It is really about the fact that I would have spent way more at NB with the 20$ gift card and the excellent customer service would have continued my business with them. As it stands now it will be taking my business elsewhere. Over the long run NB will lose much more $$ from me than the meager $20 gift card for a purchase which I had known was going to offered on special I would have waited a week for to order. It's all about keeping the customer happy and keeping their business isn't it?

It's all about being a successful business. They shouldn't dump money to you when you aren't entitled to it. That's a pretty poor business model, really. Companies say, "the customer is always right," but if you've ever worked in retail, you know that isn't remotely true. In your case, it isn't true. Just a simple example.

Eh, not to be harsh about it, but if you're one of those customers that expects retro-active discounts, I'm guessing you're high-maintenance (especially since you say you do this all the time). Companies in general do whatever they can to get and keep good customers who like the company's products and services at the prices they offer. I'm guessing they're not really going to lose all that much profit from you.

This is extremely lame!!!!

I think it all depends on what the policies are of the company. I know a lot of companies have a policy that if you bring in a receipt that shows you purchased a product at a higher price, and then it went on sale, then they will refund the different between your purchase price and the new sale price.

This is more of an offered service, not a required service.

I do agree with you, that it is frustrating, but I don't think I would let it deter me from using them for future business.

Wow. So you asked, they said no and what...you immediately post this? Take a great vendor that supports this site and blast them for not giving you something you were not entitled to in the firest place. You sir, are awesome! Your mother must be so proud.

High maintence customer that NB does not need. I never once had an issue with their products or service. I understand your frustration with the unit going on sale shortly after you bought it, but bite the bullet and enjoy your burner. I think the post needs to be deleted.

I just read 2 pages of posts blasting the OP. What he describes is VERY common. Most retailers will honor and adjust a sales price for retroactive purchases. In fact one online retailer I buy from automatically sends "store credit" adjustments.

Why? Each new customer has a real and measurable cost. In most industries it is actually quite high...$200 - $300. For this reason the most important marketing is done to keep proven/existing customers happy. This is particularly true when the customer is a proven buyer of profitable or high end products.

A $20 credit to keep a customer happy is a wise marketing expense.

Most would agree with your analysis. But that's NB's call, not the OPs. What is under the OPs control is his response.

High maintence customer that NB does not need. I never once had an issue with their products or service. I understand your frustration with the unit going on sale shortly after you bought it, but bite the bullet and enjoy your burner. I think the post needs to be deleted.

Why would you suggest deleting the thread? Just because someone posted something about a company you like? Heaven Forbid!!

There are companies who would have sent him the gift card, so he has a point. I don't know that I would have expected the card, nor been upset if I didn't get it, but would $20.00 really have caused NB a financial hardship? I give the OP props for even trying, frankly, I wouldn't have bothered!

If the burner itself went on sale I think you'd have every right to be upset they didn't credit back the $20 being it was only 7 days. Almost every company I order from has price protection for 30 days and that includes sales. But this is a separate gift card. You shouldn't be so upset about it as it's an added bonus, not a direct change to the burners price. Anyhow, congrats on the burner, I have one and love it!!

Rev.

Do you call and demand shipping refunds when future advertisements offer free shipping?

I can understand asking, but getting angry when they say no says more about you than about NB.

I just read 2 pages of posts blasting the OP. What he describes is VERY common. Most retailers will honor and adjust a sales price for retroactive purchases. In fact one online retailer I buy from automatically sends "store credit" adjustments.

Why? Each new customer has a real and measurable cost. In most industries it is actually quite high...$200 - $300. For this reason the most important marketing is done to keep proven/existing customers happy. This is particularly true when the customer is a proven buyer of profitable or high end products.

Exactly right. I have been in retail and online retail management for 25 years and I am constantly amazed at the short sighted decisions businesses make about customer service. This thread is a great example.

In any business you have to aquire customers. There is a cost associated with that and as previously stated, that cost can be very high. Hundreds of dollars is not uncommon and depending on the business the costs can run into the thousands. You then have to maintain that customer to get a return on your investment. When you lose a customer, that customer has to be replaced and the cycle starts all over again. Any business that would lose a customer for $20 has not taken into account how much they will lose by not taking care of that customer.

Another un-factored cost is an upset customer will tell 10 people and a happy customer rarely tells anyone. In this age of the internet where the business has to compete with businesses all over the world, the last thing you can afford is to have an unhappy customer going online and literally telling thousands of people how unhappy they are. Who knows how many potential customers you can lose.

I can also guarantee you that if NB will not honor it, someone else will, and is more than happy to aquire that customer from NB for $20.

Also if this guy returns his burner and gets a refund and then goes someplace else, (which is what I would do) the business loses the customer plus the profit on the burner, plus if the burner has been opened they will have to reduce the price for an open box item or dump it on another customer. Even more losses. All of this costs alot more than $20.

This thread is a great example of how different customers have different expectations. Many of you have very low expectations and that is exactly what retailers want is customers that are easy to please. In my business the best customers are the ones with high expectation of my business because when I meet or exceed those expectations I have a loyal customer.

On the internet price is king but if you can find a retailer that will compete on price and offer exceptional service, then you have found a great business. We do not have to accept "It is not our policy" from retailers. We have way too many choices on where to spend our money. We should demand better and kudos to the OP for saying so!

As an owner of many retail stores, customers like the op are not valuable. They are looking to have a policy changed because they are special and are constantly looking for a way to eek a buck out. Rarely worth it.

You mean a customer isn't worth $20 to you? What is that customer's potential worth over 5years, 10 years, 20 years? If you aren't looking at a customers value beyond today you are making a big mistake.

Send me free stuff and you'll have me as a customer until I find some other place to get free stuff.

A customer is only worth $20 if you make $20 off them. If you only make $19, you've lost money if you spent $20 to get them.

And we all know a customer like this will be back the moment they find something at NB for twelve cents less than local retail.

Look, if NB advertised a price adjust policy and they didn't honor it, sure, get mad. But they don't.

Just because Wal-Mart and Target price adjust doesn't mean smaller businesses have to do it too. The holiday season is rife with short term deals like this; they're designed to get people to the site to buy gifts so they'll spend more money on themselves. If NB had to honor sale prices a week before and a week after the sale ended, there'd be no point in running it. There will be more deals before the end of the year, and you're going to miss out because Northern Brewer didn't honor a policy THEY DON'T HAVE?

It is somewhat common for online retailers and even brick and mortar stores to offer 30-day price matching. Almost everywhere I shop has it. This seems to fall into a grey area, since it's not really a price match. I'd be pissed I missed the deal, but I'd get over it. If the price had dropped, I'd expect a refund, if under 30 days. Question though, does NB offer 30 day, or 14 day price matching?

I certainly understand the feelings of the OP, and have had similar feelings in the past on purchases. There is no harm in asking the vendor if they'll honor the deal even though you missed the window, and if they do then fantastic. If they don't, then bummer. It wouldn't stop me from purchasing from them again if I like what they offer. Most recently I could have save 10% on a $500+ purchase if I had just waited a few weeks, or known to wait a few weeks. I thought "Damn, I could have saved a good $50," but what I did instead was order more sh*t from the same vendor and saved that 10% and felt great about it.

The moral of the story is:
Order another burner, get your $20 gift card, and be happy that you now have two kick-as* burners and $20s in your pocket for your next purchase :D

You mean a customer isn't worth $20 to you? What is that customer's potential worth over 5years, 10 years, 20 years? If you aren't looking at a customers value beyond today you are making a big mistake.
I think the idea is that a there is no potential in a customer that is willing to take the time out of their day to brow-beat a business for a $20 gift card, because of their own poor timing.

I used to work in retail and this is one reason i couldent take it anymore. I managed a CVS and would do on average 10-15 "price adjustments" a day. Working for a huge cooperation i could care less.

Whats even better was with CVS's 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, people would return COMPLETLY empty bags of chedder popcorn, pretzles, crackers claiming they were stale or tasted "off"
Were then issued store credits for the FULL amount purchased for. These people acually had the nerve to go back and purchase the EXACT item that they returned not even 5 minutes before, because it tasted bad.......????

To each there own i guess. There are people out there who get $150 worth of groceries for $5-10 but just using "reward points" and coupons.....Seen a couple of them also.

Sorry for getting off topic just had to throw my hat into the retail argument

Complaining about price adjustment is one thing but this is not what happened here, NB did not lower the price of the burner and refuse to adjust it, this was a promotional gift card! He didn't buy during the promotional period, he doesn't get the card.

That being said I would also be agitated if I had bought it right before the promotion as well, but just have a homebrew and enjoy your kick-ass burner.

Any business that would lose a customer for $20 has not taken into account how much they will lose by not taking care of that customer.

Except people who get upset about $20 like this will probably do this repeatedly in the future. Is it worth the company's time, money, and effort to support someone who feels entitled to discounts and bonuses, just because other companies do it? If he ends up wasting hours of their time over the course of his buying stuff from them, while they run around trying to make him happy, they lose money on him by wasting time. They also lose out on profit each time they bother to give him a discount or free bonus item.

My company is in a service-oriented market, and we spend 80% of our time dealing with the bottom 20% of our customers and their whining about products, haggling on pricing, and pestering for free technical support (because "It's just once or twice a year!"). Imagine if we were able to use that other 80% of our time to focus on the customers that really do make us money!

You can make the case that they're losing out on his business. But they're really only missing out on hardship and financial loss from an entitled, selfish customer. Sounds to me like NB wins on this one.

I agree with the others. OP, you're not entitled to the gift card. You didn't buy during the promo. It's as simple as that. You asked if they would honor the promo anyway, and they said no. Why get so upset over $20? Obviously the $20 doesn't mean that much in the long run. If you're so broke that it does matter, why are you burning so much cash on an expensive burner, when something 1/3 of the price can do the job, too? Just let it go and enjoy the awesomeness that is the Blichmann Burner.

(Just ordered one, myself! Can't wait to try it out!!)

Look, if NB advertised a price adjust policy and they didn't honor it, sure, get mad. But they don't.

Just because Wal-Mart and Target price adjust doesn't mean smaller businesses have to do it too. The holiday season is rife with short term deals like this; they're designed to get people to the site to buy gifts so they'll spend more money on themselves. If NB had to honor sale prices a week before and a week after the sale ended, there'd be no point in running it. There will be more deals before the end of the year, and you're going to miss out because Northern Brewer didn't honor a policy THEY DON'T HAVE?

True, every store is free to set policy as they see fit. But to answer your "Why" Stores that run special sales honor that price before and after for a reasonable amount of time...SO THAT they can run sales in the future without killing sales volume. If you don't honor the price...next year sales volume will drop in the week prior to Black Friday as people "wait" just in case. Make the sale when you have a customer

When I called there was no expectation to get the card. Thought I would at least ask and see what happened. I also chose NB to create a wishlist for my family and friends for the holidays. There is 2k worth of items there. Keeping my business for a 20$ gift card from which I would have spent at least another $100 on at your store seemed fair to me. I was advertising their business to my friends and family also by creating the wishlist. If my business and future buys are not worth the $20 gift card then I will find someone who does appreciate it and is willing to go the extra mile to keep their customers happy. Just got into brewing this year, and I willing be buyin much more in the future. Seems silly to me. However, according to many of you I am just a whinny little child who is looking for a freebie and pissed that I didn't get it.
I don't see it that way. I see it also thousands of dollars, current and future purchases that could keep a customer happy by working with them.

BigRedHopHead said:
When I called there was no expectation to get the card. Thought I would at least ask and see what happened. I also chose NB to create a wishlist for my family and friends for the holidays. There is 2k worth of items there. Keeping my business for a 20$ gift card from which I would have spent at least another $100 on at your store seemed fair to me. I was advertising their business to my friends and family also by creating the wishlist. If my business and future buys are not worth the $20 gift card then I will find someone who does appreciate it and is willing to go the extra mile to keep their customers happy. Just got into brewing this year, and I willing be buyin much more in the future. Seems silly to me. However, according to many of you I am just a whinny little child who is looking for a freebie and pissed that I didn't get it.
I don't see it that way. I see it also thousands of dollars, current and future purchases that could keep a customer happy by working with them.

Honestly, they probably didn't make this calculation because they gave you more credit than they should have.

When I called there was no expectation to get the card. Thought I would at least ask and see what happened. OK, so what's the big deal then?

"Give me $20 or I'll take my business elsewhere" Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back