How do I fix over carbonated bottled beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
I tried uncapping a six pack and letting them sit for about 10-15 mins but that wasn't long enough. How long should i let them sit with the cap off? Should I let them sit for an hour or two? Granted they will be covered with something, maybe sanitized tinfoil to prevent infection. Anyone run into this problem and fix the issue? I have over a case of un drinkable beer...

Time heals all wounds.

Let them sit with caps on in the fridge for a few more weeks.

O its drinkable ... I have had it happen a few times I think many have , I usually crack it open pour it instantly into a wide deep (Big)Mug give it head room let it sit down then :tank: , Also I found if you get them very cold 36deg or so they seem to fome over less than if they were warm

Just get them nice and cold. That way you can pour them in your glass and sit for a while to degas while they warm to the proper drinking temp.

If chilling doesn't resolve your problem, caps can be lifted and reseated, often without new caps. I have done this without any problems twice. If the overcarbonation is severe, you may want to allow the caps to rest loose on the bottles for a bit. If not, just the release of the headspace co2 may be sufficient. I've done both and been delighted (maybe lucky) with the result.

I've had a few cases of way over carbonated gushers. I use the glass Grolsh bottles with the rubber flip caps. During bottling it will usually be the result of adding too much dextrose. Brew Canada instructions advise 1 to 1 1/4 cups of dextrose. Always go with the 1 cup. If after 2 weeks from bottling the beer isn't carbonated very will, let it be for a month or so. i've gone back to the beer and found flat beer later properly carbonated.
Gushers - well, I'd crack a few of them in the sink, let them boil over for a while (20 minutes), then maybe make 1 beer out of 3 bottles.

I ended up dumping the whole batch. Tasted different, not bad, but not what I was going for. I vented the bottles and the carbonation was off after that. Chocked that one up as a loss and gave the plants a drink.

I ended up dumping the whole batch. Tasted different, not bad, but not what I was going for. I vented the bottles and the carbonation was off after that. Chocked that one up as a loss and gave the plants a drink.

You dumped an entire batch of "not bad" beer?????????

They were way over carbed, and really not drinkable. It was like drinking soda. I tried venting, but it didn't help.

i over carbed my beer as well. it's only day 2 and its way too over carbed already (opened one and it was gushy and insanely carbed). im afraid ill have bottle bombs but they are only 2 days in the bottle so the c02 level is only going to go up right? how long should i wait for the yeast to eat more sugars before i degass them?

i over carbed my beer as well. it's only day 2 and its way too over carbed already (opened one and it was gushy and insanely carbed). im afraid ill have bottle bombs but they are only 2 days in the bottle so the c02 level is only going to go up right? how long should i wait for the yeast to eat more sugars before i degass them?

I've never checked a bottle on day 2 but sounds like your complete impatience paid off. How much sugar (or was it dextrose) to your beer did you use?

If they're gushing now you need to get them in a fridge. Did you open one warm? If so, stick one in the fridge for an entire day (24 hours) then open it. In the meantime put all in a covered bin and tuck them far away from foot traffic so no one is hurt if they do explode.

I'd also return to this thread where you were previously provided the best answer you could get.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/too-much-priming-sugar-soon-bottle-bombs-what-do-454524/

Latest posts

Back