Wyeast 1010 American Wheat...when will the sulfur go away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
I've had an american wheat in primary for two weeks now. I tasted it yesterday and the sulfur aroma and taste from the wyeast 1010 is still very prominent. When will this go away? I thought a hefe was supposed to be a quick turnaround beer, so I was going to keg it this weekend, but I'm not comfortable kegging it when it still has that nasty sulfur taste and smell.

My fermentation temps were spot on at 65 degrees. I now have it sitting at 60 degrees just waiting until it's drinkable.

My experience with 1010 has been mixed... Some batches smell like sulphur in primary... Some do not. I have a glass in my hand of a wheat that I did 2 weeks ago. It has been legged about 4 days ago and tastes great, but still has a hint of farts in the smell. Usually this will disappear with time in the keg / bottle.

I used Wyeast 1010 in a batch of AG wheat beer. I thought I had done something wrong with sanitization. After I ruled that out I thought it had something to do with doing a decoction mash for the first time. After reading posts similar to yours I think it was definatly my yeast and may have had something to do with fermenting temp? Mine did hit 70-72 at times when it was really going and I wasn't around to do anything about it. It smells horrible. Going into the bottle it smelled like bandaids and feet, a week later it smells of sweaty feet and some kind of gross "sweet fart" smell. I've lost hope for the batch and feel like it's destined to be in the bottle for 6 months+ and be that batch I never tell anyone about or share with people. Did yours ever become drinkable? I've seen a fair number of people says their beer smells bad but not many people followed up months later.

Thanks!

Back