water additives for ro water clone recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you share the profile in this thread, I'll add it to the brewer's friend water chemistry calculator drop down list :]

Why use RO water? If you are buying bottled water you can use "drinking" or "spring" and make awesome light beers just as good as using RO + additives.

Check out the Water Primer thread in the "Brew Science" sub forum on HBT. AJ Delange lays out some basics of water adjustments to get your feet wet. Basically a bit of Calcium Chloride, some Gypsum perhaps and you are good to go on the road to water adjusting.

I mostly brew with Santa Rosa city water. I'd cut it with 50% RO for a pilsner or hefeweizen, but for an IPA I'd just carbon filter, crush in a quarter of a Campden tab, and add a couple grams CaCl2 and a few grams CaSO4 to the mash for a 5 gallon batch.

Healthy fermentation, eliminating chlorine/chloramine, and keeping the pH down is probably more important to making awesome beer than is a strict ion balance. My beers are usually awesome.;)

Check out the Water Primer thread in the "Brew Science" sub forum on HBT. AJ Delange lays out some basics of water adjustments to get your feet wet. Basically a bit of Calcium Chloride, some Gypsum perhaps and you are good to go on the road to water adjusting.

That's what I do. I don't use 100% RO water but a mix of RO and my tap. I have high bicarb in my tap water, that's why I cut it with RO water.

But the water I end up using looks like this:

Ca- 63
Mg- 14
Na- 5
So4- 60
Cl- 40
Hco3- 121 (still a little high, but it tastes fine in this beer)

Back