Temperature control for Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BangorBrewer

Reaction score
I am certain this has been posted before, but after a very cursory search, I didn't find anything.

I am looking to convert a Frigidaire chest freezer into a keezer and want to find a good looking, easy to use and install thermostat/temperature controller. I don't, however, intend on spending a lot of money. I like the looks of this one and imagine it can be built into the collar (am I wrong?)

I found this temperature control on e-bay....http://cgi.ebay.com/Temperature-Con...285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1ba6b46d

How hard will this be to install? Is it anywhere near comparable to the Johnson and Ranco ones?

Anyone have one of these?

Thanks.
MT

I have one of those built into the collar of my keezer and it works great, but does require some basic wiring skills and electrical parts to get it functional. See this thread about that very controller. FWIW they are cheaper if you buy direct from China.

I don't have any wiring skills, so maybe I should pass? It really depends on the quality of instructions...any thoughts?

Its pretty easy to wire up just follow the ebay aquarium temp control thread and it tells you everything you need to know about wireing it up.

Find a used analog or digital controller (Ranco or Johnson Controls). Plug it in, check the temp and your done.

I found a used Digital pre-wired Ranco in the HBT classifieds for $35.

I don't have any wiring skills, so maybe I should pass? It really depends on the quality of instructions...any thoughts?

The controller doesn't really come with instructions, but just follow the thread I linked and it will walk you through it. It's not really that difficult, but it's also totally understandable if you'd prefer a plug and play model like a Ranco or Johnson. Once you add the cost of the other parts you'll need you might end up close to the cost of a Ranco anyways.

I took a look at the Ranco ETC-111000, and it looks like that, too, requires additional wiring -- am I wrong?

I want something that works (doesn't have to be absolutely perfect) that's affordable and that I can install and manipulate easily. Looking at the ebay aquarium thread, I think I could handle it -- but theRanco ETC-111000 is digital (which I like) and reasonably priced...

So...I guess... what's the deal?

but theRanco ETC-111000 is digital (which I like)

:confused: They're both digital.

I took a look at the Ranco ETC-111000, and it looks like that, too, requires additional wiring -- am I wrong?

You can buy the Ranco either unwired or pre-wired where all you do is plug it in.

So...I guess... what's the deal?

If it were me I'd get the e-bay one because it's cheaper and looks cool flush mounted in a keezer collar, but it's ultimately up to you and whether or not you feel comfortable wiring it.

If you're not in a huge rush, scan the classifieds or put up a WTB: Temp controller ad in the classifieds.

I have seen a lot of temp controllers go for around $40 and all you do is plug it in.

If you don't want to hassle with wiring or worrying about buying the aquarium controller and screwing it up, put up an ad.

I have one of those built into the collar of my keezer and it works great, but does require some basic wiring skills and electrical parts to get it functional. See this thread about that very controller. FWIW they are cheaper if you buy direct from China.

Hey Juan, I was wondering how you mounted the controller into the collar and what you did with running the wires, did you still make a box? I understand the wiring just not mounting it into the collar, any help (or pics) would be appreciated, thanks
Charlie

Charlieatthedisco said:
Hey Juan, I was wondering how you mounted the controller into the collar and what you did with running the wires, did you still make a box? I understand the wiring just not mounting it into the collar, any help (or pics) would be appreciated, thanks
Charlie

For mounting I just cut a hole in the collar. I don't remember for sure, but I think my collar was too thick to be able to use the retaining clips that came with the controller. I think it's just friction fit, with a small bead of silicone around the seam on the inside. For the wiring I just ran extension cords down the back of the keezer, to a duplex outlet box, with one outlet wired for the freezer control, and the other for my rope lights. There are a few pics in the keezer build in my signature.

The A419 is in fact digital. It's just kinda clunky looking, as is the Ranco (I have two of those). LOVE controllers and the STC1000 look cooler, do more, and are easier to integrate into things...

Cheers!

I didn't make my self clear.. By digital I was talking about the temp screen. I guess I should have said Bright LED or something. Can you integrate the other controllers w a fan or something besides the freezer?

Also, I am thinking about putting some LED rope lighting in my coldbox. Any ideas on the best way to integrate it so it only turns on when I open it?

bigfloyd said:
even less if you wire up an stc-1000 dual controller to a simply 2-plug wall outlet and combine the two into a control box. I spent <$30 on the controller setup and $70 for a used upright freezer that will fit two 6.5 gallon buckets.

I cold crashed two batches from 67*f to 38*f today at lunchtime with simply the touch of a few buttons.:rockin:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

video link: Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i-iwflykxs

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html
a

There is a thread here somewhere that shows you how to adjust the thermostat on your freezer it's easier than wiring the controller. There is a small screw on the back of the thermostat I don't remember which way you turn it but you turn it about 5 or 6 turns and it will run a warmer temp. Just make small adjustment each day until you hit your target temp. I got lucky only had to adjust it a couple times.

JUST ORDERED MINE.. I am sure i will have a TON of wiring questions...Stay tuned!!

First question. Am I correct in thinking you need you need to wire stc to a plug and then plug fridge in? You couldn't just cut the plug off and wire fridge directly into stc?

Back