Sanitation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdstrobe

Reaction score
I'm bottling another brew today and wanted to use carb tabs. I'm a little nervous about the sanitation process for a carb tab. I have them in a plastic bag because I moved but I'm wondering is there a way to "sanitize" the tabs to ensure that they are good to touch the beer or should I not have to worry about it?

Let me know, thanks.

Not really unless you dumped them all in 2 cups of water, boiled it and added it to a bottling bucket while you racked you beer over. Then you'd be bulk priming like the rest of us who don't use them. ;)

Nope. There's really no way to sanitize them other than I mentioned. You can't dip them in sanitizer or steam them or they will dissolve. So I just wouldn't worry about it. You are dopping them in alcholol after all.

I just make sure to properly store them and use clean hands. I recently acquired 15 bags and had my reservations about using them. I tried them on a few bottles without a problem. I may get brave and do a whole batch. Just don't eat one. I tried one and ate almost half the pack.

You could theoretically sanitize them in the oven, unless they melt at high temps. Or the microwave. You could experiment.

Once they are sanitized you'd have to use them or put them in a sanitized container right away. Revvy is right, though, most homebrewers don't bother with those and just batch prime with boiled sugar.

Back