extremely long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSDracula

Reaction score
Made a batch of graff on 1/31/10
4 gallons treetop apple juice
1 gallon drinking water
8 oz 60L crystal
2 lbs breiss golden light dme
4 oz maple syrup
1 oz 3.6 AA fuggles hops
1 1/4 tsp brewing nutrient
1 packet Safale-05

I'm fermenting in a 6.5 gallon BB. Seems to still have krausen after almost 2 weeks. Also wort is very cloudy almost a solid orange color. So I know the yeast is still in suspension.
The temperature is probably very low. I live in Mesa AZ and have not used the heat in my house because daytime temperature is 70F+, night time around 50F. Only have the BB covered in a black t-shirt to prevent light exposure to prevent skunking hops.
I have only brewed in the spring and summer months so far and everything has been done fermenting in a week at most.
My question is. Will this ever finish and when should I expect it to finally clear? Usually I give things 4 weeks before I bottle but I think this batch may go much longer. That is fine but should I worry about yeast autolysis or is that not an issue with the cold temperature?

Side note: Normally I would use irish moss because my LHBS always gave out free irish moss and brewing salt with all milled grains. They had new employees working there and they didn't provide those things. I figured it was not a big deal and brewed anyway.

Check the gravity.
It will clear eventually.
Autolysis doesn't happen, unless you leave the yeast cake on the back porch in the summer.

Check the gravity.
It will clear eventually.
Autolysis doesn't happen, unless you leave the yeast cake on the back porch in the summer.

Good to know. When I made apfelwien last year I did let it sit for 8 weeks so I guess I'll just have to wait. :(

You should be fine... Check the hyrdometer reading and when they stablize, that is about it. Cooler temps with ale yeast means it is going to take a while to ferment. Also there looks to be a fair amount of fermentables in that recipe. Even if it is in there for 4 weeks, it should not reallly matter.

Back