Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I sliced the beans than added for full 60 min boil than added another bean into carboy.

I usually slice mine, soak them in enough bourbon to cover them in a bowl for about a week, then add that to secondary and let it set for a few weeks.

I usually slice mine, soak them in enough bourbon to cover them in a bowl for about a week, then add that to secondary and let it set for a few weeks.
View attachment 328717

I'm not really a fan of soaking anything in alcohol unless it's some kind of oak cubes. Does the bourbon add any kind of profile?. I Was thinking about soaking some oak cubes in either whiskey or bourbon to add to this stout. Fermentation has taken off with 4 hrs after pitching added 2 wyeasts packs of 1028. Glad I added a blow off tube.

I'm not really a fan of soaking anything in alcohol unless it's some kind of oak cubes. Does the bourbon add any kind of profile?. I Was thinking about soaking some oak cubes in either whiskey or bourbon to add to this stout. Fermentation has taken off with 4 hrs after pitching added 2 wyeasts packs of 1028. Glad I added a blow off tube.

I suppose if y use enough, it will add a little something, but it's more to extract all of that vanilla goodness from the beans.

This is a fun one to watch ferment if you're using a carboy. A lot going on in there.

I suppose if y use enough, it will add a little something, but it's more to extract all of that vanilla goodness from the beans.

This is a fun one to watch ferment if you're using a carboy. A lot going on in there.

Any reason why you use bourbon vs vodka to extract the vanilla flavors out? Wouldn't vodka give you more of a neutral flavor?

Any reason why you use bourbon vs vodka to extract the vanilla flavors out? Wouldn't vodka give you more of a neutral flavor?

I always use vodka when making wine, as it does not impart much of a flavor.
However I always use whiskey for beer as beer & whiskey mix well!

My mom bought 2 bottles of vanilla extract from a restaurant supply company. One bottle using vodka, and one using bourbon. I like the flavor of the bourbon-based extract better in just about everything. It's just a richer flavor.

As I understand it, the flavor change of a small amount of bourbon is extremely small, considering it's essentially 2-3 shots of bourbon going into a 5 gallon (or larger) batch of beer. Might add some very slight slight bourbony notes, at best (which generally goes really well with beer), if anything. This as opposed to no change from the same volume of vodka. I suspect you'd really need to be looking for the bourbon flavor to notice, else it's just a very subtle flavor enhancement, if anything.

I kegged mine last night. Was in primary for 4 weeks. I used .75 lbs of lactose, had a OG of 1.064 and FG of 1.022. The smell is incredible, and the taste even better! Smooth coffee and bittersweet chocolate. It's going to be hard aging this for a month before carbonating.

Just put mine in the fermenter a few minutes ago. Went by the original AG recipe exactly with 7# 2-row and Denny's, except my LHBS didn't have plain chocolate malt, only pale and dark, so I did 0.5 pale and 0.25 dark, which kinda matches the L of the original. And I managed to get 80% efficiency. 5.6 gallons at 1.063. This is going to be my first batch on nitro, can't wait.

Thinking of upping the lactose from 10 oz to 12 before bottling.
Can't hurt!

Got an infection...

Oh that sucks!! I just saw this thread and saw your first pic of your brew in carboy. I thought wow, no head space! Was going to advise a blow off, instead of your air lock and ask how it was going (how much blew off), and then this. Sorry to hear.

So I brewed this on 04.06.2015 and I took the keg out of the fridge on 07.11.2015 because it tasted like an ashtray. I almost dumped it, but I decided against it. I "forgot" about it until a couple of days ago when I was looking for a free keg for one of the two new brews. The taste has changed dramatically for the better. No ashtray taste now. It's very creamy, silky smooth. I'm very glad I didn't dump it. Time to drink up!

So I brewed this on 04.06.2015 and I took the keg out of the fridge on 07.11.2015 because it tasted like an ashtray. I almost dumped it, but I decided against it. I "forgot" about it until a couple of days ago when I was looking for a free keg for one of the two new brews. The taste has changed dramatically for the better. No ashtray taste now. It's very creamy, silky smooth. I'm very glad I didn't dump it. Time to drink up!

Cool so maybe there's hope for mine yet.
Bottled it about 3 weeks ago and it still tastes like the smell of burning rubber.
If you could imaging Band-Aid mixed with roasted malt.
The issue was with the BRY-97 yeast; I think I got two bad packs because the last beer I brewed with it had a horrible off-taste too.
40 or so other batches and I've never had a problem; even using the same equipment again afterwards.
I'm just going to leave it in a corner of the basement and try a bottle every month or so.

Cool so maybe there's hope for mine yet.
Bottled it about 3 weeks ago and it still tastes like the smell of burning rubber.
If you could imaging Band-Aid mixed with roasted malt.
The issue was with the BRY-97 yeast; I think I got two bad packs because the last beer I brewed with it had a horrible off-taste too.
40 or so other batches and I've never had a problem; even using the same equipment again afterwards.
I'm just going to leave it in a corner of the basement and try a bottle every month or so.

Sounds like a perfect idea. Sit it and forget it. Hopefully it'll turn out OK like my "ashtray" batch. I drank three or four pours off of that keg last night. :mug:

I want to test this out with my new little big mouth bubbler I got for 1gal test batches. Put this together in BS2, thoughts? http://imgur.com/IgUVP8n

IgUVP8n

Bottled.
Ended up adding another 2 oz of lactose for a total of 3/4#.
Ended up with 5.25%, which is weird considering I added the extra two 1/2#'s of DME

Damn this stuff is Roasty and tasty.
Wish I had made this instead of my oatmeal stout
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453859023.468213.jpg
I am going to try and put them in a warm water bath with temp control and speed up bottle carbing, hopefully have one ready for super bowl !

I had a
SG of 1.072
FG of 1.032

Is that a high FG, even with 12 oz of lactose?
Or is my hydrometer broke?

Less than 2 week in bottle, but kept in a water bath of 70.

It defiantly has more of a kick than my 5.25% reading woul indicate.
It has a Roasty flavor
But also a hot- wine/alcohol like flavor.
Maybe I over mashed and have too many tannins?
Of course if my readings were correct it could just be a 7% stout with a ton of lactose

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454802017.632944.jpg

I've made a Woodford Bourbon porter several years in a row for the Ky Derby and am looking to up it to a Bourbon Stout.

For anyone who's brewed this, how do you think it would be with half a bottle of bourbon + oak cubes?

I've made a Woodford Bourbon porter several years in a row for the Ky Derby and am looking to up it to a Bourbon Stout.

For anyone who's brewed this, how do you think it would be with half a bottle of bourbon + oak cubes?

I haven't made this (yet) but, what size bottle?

has anyone aged this stout and if so at what point did it start going past its prime? I did all grain

Thanks

I'm at +235 days and my bottle conditioned (ez-cap) extract version still tastes good. It certianly improved with the first several months, now it is has leveled out.

I haven't made this (yet) but, what size bottle?

Sweet jesus, unless it's a single serve bottle, it's going to be way too much. I added maybe 10oz of bourbon to one stout I made and its taken me more than a year to tone it back, and it's still too much.

Has anyone upped the OG on this to around 1.090? Thinking of giving it a shot to see what it's like, plus some espresso and coconut.

I'm good with 3 or 4oz of bourbon. But it's all personal taste man.

.5oz/gallon is very subtle, but I imagine 1oz/1g would be pretty prominent
I lump bourbon in with oak, both should only be supporting roles in most beers, to my tastes.

My LHBS has Pale Chocolate (400) and Chocolate (625). Should I go with one over the other, or some kind of mixture of both?

Bottled about 41/2 months ago. It's starting to come around a bit and I've learned a ton since brewing this batch. I used S-04 for the 1st time and fermented a tad bit to high, and upped the lactose a tad which wasn't necessarily a good thing. My recipe resizing formulation was also a bit off, so some of the more _robust_ stout characteristics are a bit lacking.
I've since moved on to all grain, and think I'll brew this again just to compare notes and to see how much my brewing has improved.
It's drinkable!

2.5 months in the bottle and I may drain pour the last few.
There is a weird taste to it.
Not quite metallic, but an artificial after taste.
My only deviation was extra lb of DME and extra lactose!

I fermented at 70F

Any ideas where I went wrong?

2.5 months in the bottle and I may drain pour the last few.
There is a weird taste to it.
Not quite metallic, but an artificial after taste.
My only deviation was extra lb of DME and extra lactose!

I fermented at 70F

Any ideas where I went wrong?

I've had dark beers taste like that. I let them sit for months and they got so much better. Nobody can explain it for me.

I'm actually kind of over this one. The last few versions have always seemed "muddy" tasting and it never really gets better with age. I made a different milk stout for a Chai version and it had a lot cleaner edge too it. The flavors in this one seem to blend too much into an odd taste. It's not too bad, but there are better versions of cream stouts to me now.

Back