are all erlenmeyer flasks borosilicate? boiling to cooling question for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I just bought a Erlenmeyer Flask from a local brew shop. It was around 21 bucks, and doesn't have a brand name on it. I know the brew shop's supplier is LD Carlson and can assume pretty safely that is where they got this one. LD Carlson's web site does not specify if this is borosilicate glass...

I would like to boil a starter in it and throw it directly into an ice bath to cool. Obviously if this is not borosilicate glass this would be a bad idea. So does anyone know if LD Carlson's are, or if all E-flasks are made like this?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a similar one from my LHBS ($18 for 2 liter). The owner said that it was not Pyrex, so to be careful about thermal shocks. I intend to treat mine like I would a carboy, adding boiled and chilled wort to it.

I say do it soon, in a controlled environment and if it explodes take back the pieces and demand your money back. A flask like that SHOULD be able to go from HOT to COLD
IMHO
JJ

E-Flasks can be made with different materials. Pyrex and Kimax are 2 I know of. They should both be able to handle thermal shock pretty well, but nothing is a guarantee. When I used to make starters in E-Flasks, I would first put it in a bath of regular tap water (~55-60°F) for a few minutes and then an ice bath. Never had a problem.

If you're going to boil starter wort in them, get the anti-foam drops. Volcanos burn and make a huge sticky mess.;) I make my starters in a stock pot now and funnel it in to flasks for this reason.

If it doesn't say Pyrex or Kimax or Duran assume it is not borosilicate unless you can confirm that it is.

Also note that Pyrex is not always borosilicate, since Corning uses that branding on all of its kitchenware products many of which are not borosilicate. However labware labeled Pyrex is almost certainly borosilicate.

If it isn't borosilicate, I would return it since it offers no significant advantage over a reused mason jar, growler etc.

I take mine from stove to ice bath. No problems yet.

Make CERTAIN that you do not boil it on an electric stove. The heat from those will eventually shatter the bottom. Ask me how I know!

I don't think he really means induction. I think he means glass top electric stoves. I've been using mine with a flask and going straight into water. Hasn't blown up yet. That means its safe, right? :)

I've been using the same flasks in the lab I work in with an electric hotplate/stirrer for the past 13+ years..... no issues. Boiling stuff, pretty nasty stuff, a few times weekly.

Back