Carbonating with soda bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we need carbonator caps or do the regular one's work also ? thanks

and by regular caps, i mean the one that comes already with the 2L bottles.

Never done it with beer, but I did carbonate some kvass using old soda bottles, with regular caps. Seems to have worked for a lower carb level.

You mean naturally carbonating them? The original caps on 1L bottles work just fine, just screw them down tight. 2L should be the same but I haven't tried the larger bottles yet.

thanks guys.. i'm gonna give it a try and keep you posted. i like the 1L bottle idea better as the portion size is more convinient.

Yupper! I bought two stainless ball lock carbonators from brewhardware.com and put a section of straight tube on the barb to pull the soda/beer/wine up from the bottom of a 2 liter bottle.

I just fill the bottle 3/4 the way up with my beverage (make sure its chilled first) and crank up the CO2 to 35psi, attach the carbonator to the CO2 tank and shake the bottle while filling with CO2.

I do crystal light for work this way and a picnic tap with a 2" hose works great for dispensing it.

For beer, I am pressure fermenting but you can just do the same thing (cold beer) with 10-12 psi to carbonate it if in a real hurry.

CarbonatorSS-2T.jpg

Back