kegorator build question (collar)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scinerd3000

Reaction score
so i have the collar built and sanded and ready to go on however i picked a terrible time to do it. I have a munich dunkel which i just pulled out for a diactyl rest and i have a 36 hour window to get this put back togeather in time for lagering. This wouldnt be a problem except im wondering if i need to paint or seal the wood in some way due to the humidity produced inside a converted chest freezer. Any thoughts?

Basically can i get away without treating the wood in any way or will this come back to haunt me later.

I'm not an expert on wood, but I wouldn't put it together without some sort of coating, whether it be paint or sealer.

You should plan to urethane or otherwise moisture proof the collar, but I would say you might have a little time to get to it before it becomes serious issue. Your probably fine lagering your dunkel now and coming back to the wood treatment when you have a little more time.

once i silicone it to the freezer i doubt its coming off again nicely. im running out to get some polyurethane i guess

so i dug through my paint stuff and found a few cans of plain old polyurethane. Since im a cheapass occasionally im just going to use that. I figure im gonna use two or three coats and when thats partially dry to the touch tonight im going to mount it to the freezer with the silicone and then they both will have another 18 hours to dry until i move the dunkel back in. I wasnt going for beauty here so this will have to do but it deffinitly looks better after the first coat :) thanks guys.

i just wrapped the three interior sides of wood on my collar with plastic wrap from Home Depot. Just Stapled it right on. No problems at all

haha hell of a solution. Well i guess it would work but i wasnt looking for something like that. With my luck some drunkass would try and open my wrapped "present". If i have to go through the work anyway i minus well have painted the damn thing

Back