Strange equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdedman

Reaction score
The one on the left in the last photo looks like a simple distillation column to me.

From the Kimble website:

KUDERNA DANISH APPARATUS WITH GRADUATED CONCERTRATOR TUBE
The Kuderna-Danish apparatus was developed in the laboratories of Julius Hyman and Company for the concentration of trace amounts of sample dissolved in organic solvents. The column is designed to speed evaporation with reduced hold-up. It is very useful in sample preparation before analysis with solvents such as petroleum ether or hexane.

From the Kimble website:

KUDERNA DANISH APPARATUS WITH GRADUATED CONCERTRATOR TUBE
The Kuderna-Danish apparatus was developed in the laboratories of Julius Hyman and Company for the concentration of trace amounts of sample dissolved in organic solvents. The column is designed to speed evaporation with reduced hold-up. It is very useful in sample preparation before analysis with solvents such as petroleum ether or hexane.

That's totally it Paul, thanks. Now what will I use it for?

There's no "trap" (so to speak) to use it as an airlock, is there? At least, not from what I can see. Whatever liquid you tried to use would drain right into the wort.

No there isn't a "trap". Still I wonder what I could use it for besides breaking bad decorations.

Looks like this is expensive equipment that was used for distillation. Most likely for essential oils. You can probably fetch some decent money for them if you can find the right names for it. Otherwise you can possibly use it to make a cool chemistryish hopback or something of the sort.

Back