30 gallon brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Well Sort of, made 5 gallons of beer and 25 gallons of mead. It still took awhile, but I'm sure it took no where near the time a 30 gallon batch would.

00006-small.jpg

There's a double chocolate stout in the secondary as well for a total of 35 gallons going at once.

00003-small.jpg

because we thought it was funny

What the bloody hell is that second pic!?!?! Fuel for the space shuttle in it's pre-fermented form?

mike

pure honey :) We had a 5 gallon bucket of it... it's now in those carboys in the first pic. And on top of it being off the charts, it was 95F to boot.

z987k said:
Well Sort of, made 5 gallons of beer and 25 gallons of mead. It still took awhile, but I'm sure it took no where near the time a 30 gallon batch would.

00006-small.jpg

There's a double chocolate stout in the secondary as well for a total of 35 gallons going at once.

00003-small.jpg

because we thought it was funny

Nice man, I like the Za's cup on the right too =)

it's a mead with champaign yeast. The reason it's dark is because for some reason that one decided to separate back out. No idea why. But the yeast seem to be eating away at it, as it's getting slightly smaller every day. If we have to we can probably shake it up a bit.

There's a Bud Light 12 pack peeking out of the lower left hand corner......for shame!:confused:

Wow! You must really enjoy Mead! Are you planning on aging some for a while? Does mead age well? Do you just consume the stuff that fast? ;)

cowgo said:
There's a Bud Light 12 pack peeking out of the lower left hand corner......for shame!:confused:

Awww...That's not a "real" Bud light box...that's a "bottle box." I have one just like that full of my to be de-labeled pop top bottles. I was in my neighborhood store one day getting milk and asked them for a couple of empty boxes...I got one bud and 2 guinness boxes.

I did however feel the need to preform a "BMC Exorcism" on the box before I incorporated it into my brewery. I wanted to make sure there were no linger "bad tasting insipid piss water" demons floating around it. :D

bud light box is a bottle box like revvy said. And yes we like mead, but with as much time as is takes to make why not make a **** ton of it so we don't run out while we're waiting for the second batch.

Yeah these guys love making mead, Ive been there the past couple of weeks brewing with z987k and I think I have decided that the honey I tasted is the closest thing ive tasted to heaven in a 5 gallon bucket.

Revvy said:
Awww...That's not a "real" Bud light box...that's a "bottle box." I have one just like that full of my to be de-labeled pop top bottles. I was in my neighborhood store one day getting milk and asked them for a couple of empty boxes...I got one bud and 2 guinness boxes.

I did however feel the need to preform a "BMC Exorcism" on the box before I incorporated it into my brewery. I wanted to make sure there were no linger "bad tasting insipid piss water" demons floating around it. :D

All's well then. Hey Revvy, my folks are from Port Huron, still have plenty of relatives there but I haven't been back since the early 70's.

Port Huron beer connection: One of my most prized possessions is a bottle opener hand stamped by my grandpa in Port Huron (dead since 65) and fitted to a little deer antler.

cowgo said:
All's well then. Hey Revvy, my folks are from Port Huron, still have plenty of relatives there but I haven't been back since the early 70's.

Port Huron beer connection: One of my most prized possessions is a bottle opener hand stamped by my grandpa in Port Huron (dead since 65) and fitted to a little deer antler.

Oh that's cool...A nice momento...

Today I decided to dub my home brewing endeavors "Black River Brewing Company."

I live in a loft downtown, kitty corner from the old Sperry's Building. Between Grand River and Quay Street (On the Black River).

I took this place so I could be in staggering distance from our only brew pub, the Quay Street Brewing Company.
:drunk:

So where in Kansas Are you? I lived for a couple years near Lee's Summit, Missouri. I used to head over to your side of the river quite often...Mostly to Overland Park, and sometimes Lawrence.

I'll try to fine the Hen in cans, if I come across them.

For you to like it that much you must have a nice recipe...is that a plain traditional mead or something special?

I just tapped in to my first batch of mead in 3 years, it's at about 4 months and so far so good. I'm going to TRY to hold out a few more months before I dive in any more, but the peer pressure is killing me. ;)

Distilled said:
For you to like it that much you must have a nice recipe...is that a plain traditional mead or something special?

I just tapped in to my first batch of mead in 3 years, it's at about 4 months and so far so good. I'm going to TRY to hold out a few more months before I dive in any more, but the peer pressure is killing me. ;)

All of the mead carboys are different recipes. They're actually all made up from software and the book "the complete meadmaker"

The meads are actually more of my project and they are:
6 gallon goldenrod honey only, and yeast and water
5 gallon cherry melomel
6 gallon grapefruit melomel
6 gallon blackberry melomel
5 gallon allspice and cinnamon methelgin

25 gals of mead doesn't count. I want to see 3 x 10 gal batches being brewed baby!!! C'mon, enough with this honey business.

J/K - good stuff!
sm-thumbup.gif

Jekster said:
Wow! You must really enjoy Mead! Are you planning on aging some for a while? Does mead age well? Do you just consume the stuff that fast? ;)

recently our club had our annual mead meeting. we tasted 23 meads in all. some of the best meads were from 1995. yes if properly containered and stored they will last a long, long time and really only start getting good after the first year or so.

as far as fast consumption - at out mead meetings tasting glasses look more like communion glasses. it's not something you want to chug

Lil' Sparky said:
25 gals of mead doesn't count. I want to see 3 x 10 gal batches being brewed baby!!! C'mon, enough with this honey business.

J/K - good stuff!
sm-thumbup.gif

yeah I don't have near the capacity to pull that off.

Back