Masstoberfest 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Well it's getting to be that time of year again, time to start prepping for Masstoberfest.

"What is Masstoberfest?" you ask. Actually, you shouldn't ask that 'cause we're all going to wonder what rock you've been hiding under.

Masstoberfest started over 8 years ago when I invited a few members over on a freezing cold fall day. We ate, we shot the ****, we brewed and we drank. And lo, unto them a tradition was born. So we did it agan the next year. And it got bigger. And we did it again the following year and it got bigger still. Again and again and.again...

And so now it's time to do it again. (I never get tired of saying that. Unfortunately, as I get older I don't say it nearly as often as I used to.)

Common sense convinced us to move the date back to the early fall so we don't freeze our arses off again and so this year Masstoberfest will be held on Saturday September 27th at my house in Stoughton.

It works like this. I BBQ a whole hog. This year I'm hoping to have my pizza oven done and we can have pizza to go with the BBQ. Everybody who comes brings a dish of some sort. Bring whatever you like; salad, appetizer, dessert, etc. One year my BFF Capebrewing brought a bag of frozen broccoli but he's retarded and that explains a lot. I'll have a couple of kegs. Other guys will bring kegs. Most everyone brings some of their own home brewed beer for sharing and critiquing. And the root of Masstoberfest is that it is a gathering of home brewers, so we brew. PLEASE consider bringing your rig, no matter how humble, to brew with us. We've had guys doing extract brews, we've had guys doing triple decoctions, and guys (and girls) doing everything in between. PTO and Smurf have brewed a Steinbeir the past three years where the wort is heated by dropping in rocks heated in a fire. I guarantee you will learn something walking around watching how a bunch of other guys do what you do. Good ideas, bad ideas, in between ideas.

And we have the single coolest prize in homebrewing, the Masstoberfest Cup.
1314043433.jpg

There is plenty of yard space so consider bringing a tent and staying over. We tend to go quite late and as the evening gets later and the bonfire climbs higher into the night the beer tends to flow a little more freely. We're all adults here. If you have too much to drink I'll expect you to do the right thing and stay. I'd much rather wake up to find a dozen drunks snoring in the back yard and a few more asleep on the sofas that to lose one of my friends in a car crash.

OK, let the bull sh!tting commence...

If you weren't 8 hours and a monstrous amount of tolls away from me (Maryland) I'd come lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll take "How does a UP'er say 'The check's in the mail' for $600, Alex.

My cousin had the incredible nerve to decide a year ago to get married on September 27th. In the middle of Indiana, of all things.

I'll Facebook her, and see if she'll just change the date so the 300 guests and the family from throughout the country will just change their plans and I can come to PaultheNurse's party. I'm sure they'll be quite understanding.

:D

But there is always next year......................I hope!

I drove to Philly for a cheesesteak too lol. Although it is only about an hour and a half from here you do geno's or pat's?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

But there is always next year......................I hope!

You sound like me for the first 45 years of my life. Then the Sox finally won.

Maybe you can come after you reach your 45th birthday.

If it were me, I'd blow off my cousin's wedding. Clearly she doesn't care about her family. Indiana? Who goes to Indiana to get married? I guarantee they'll be divorced by Christmas. Indiana? Wtf?

you do geno's or pat's?

Both. Duh. Do ya think I drove 8 hours for one sandwich ? I had like three at each place.

I guess I prefer Pats overall. But since Spawn #2 graduated from St Joes I don't do as much research as I used to. Both are great. And she took is to a few other places over the years she was there and I enjoyed them all. One dude put broccoli rabe on the sub. That was wierd but good.

Crap. Now I'm hungry for a Philly cheese steak and I'm gonna have to settle for a #9. Crap.

Someday I'm going to come and crash your party.

One year, I actually looked at plane tickets to this "event."

But, bird said I'd win the "trophy" no matter what, just so I'd have to fly back with it and then bring it back the next year. And, shecky and data said they'd go if I went.

So that was that...

This party sounds awesome. I'm new to the forum but I live close to you. If the invite is open to anyone I would love to go. I'll come hands full of food and beer.

But, bird said I'd win the "trophy" no matter what, just so I'd have to fly back with it and then bring it back the next year. And, shecky and data said they'd go if I went.

So that was that...

I promise. You wont win the Cup. It was bad enough letting Mort take it up to Nashua and that might as well be Massachusetts. No f'ing way youre taking it to Ara freakin' zona. Besides it would probably melt down there.

And Shecky ain't ever going to come. Its always a kids birthday or a football game or he's not in the mood or he has a headache... He's Connecticut's answer to Yeager.

So that was that...

I promise. You ont win the Cup. It was bad enough letting Mort take it up to Nashua and that might as well be Massachusetts. No f'ing way youre taking it to Ara freakin' zona. Besides it would probably melt down there.

And Shecky ain't ever going to come. Its always a kids birthday or a football game or he's not in the mood or he has a headache... He's Connecticut's answer to Yeager.

Should be a fun weekend. Masstoberfest on Saturday, my son getting married on Sunday and I fly to Saltzburg Austria on Monday...

Geez, I SO need a new bunch of BFFs.

No you don't. You LOVE us. You ADORE us. You think we're AWESOME.

The fact that we make up lame excuses to avoid spending time with you doesn't seem to bother you a bit.

Edit- flight from about 1.5 hours away from me to Logan is $308, while the closest airport to me is $700. Who is picking me up at Logan?

The fact that we make up lame excuses to avoid spending time with you doesn't seem to bother you a bit.

Edit- flight from about 1.5 hours away from me to Logan is $308, while the closest airport to me is $700. Who is picking me up at Logan?

I'm probably closest, so what time would you need the limo to pick you up??

I will come pick you up!

Let me talk to the chief financial officer and see if I can make it. I would really love to come.

The one year I was going to go, the_bird was going to take me to Sox game at Fenway. You should see if that offer still stands.

The one year I was going to go, the_bird was going to take me to Sox game at Fenway. You should see if that offer still stands.

We'll probably be able to get you in to the pahk. Are you a southpaw and what speed is your change up? Can you make it to first base without looking like you blew a tire?

Latest posts

Back