What do you use to stain your wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
Just curious to what is most popular for partial mash and extract people to remove hops (pelets, plugs, whole) and other debri from the wort when transfering into the ferment vessel. False bottoms, hop stoppers, funnel strainers?

anthrobe said:
Just curious to what is most popular for partial mash and extract people to remove hops (pelets, plugs, whole) and other debri from the wort when transfering into the ferment vessel. False bottoms, hop stoppers, funnel strainers?
Up to now I've been using a big (10") funnel and strainer...I just pour everying into the strainer which sets inside the funnel after the wort is cooled. Works great if you're not boiling over 4 gallons or so.

What do you use to stain your wort?

Hmmm, I use a water base stain, and use a water base hardener after. :p

Funnel and strainer method should work great for you!

I was thinking about puting in a quarter turn valve and connect a stainless steel screen tube to it on the inside of the pot. Then I would not have to worry about pouring the wort from the pot and I will be able to strain out all the debri. I think that it may help keep the mess down.

I use a metal strainer and/or a cheese cloth. There is nothing better in this world for straining than cheese cloth! You can also tie up your hops etc in the cheese cloth like a hop bag then you wouldn't have to strain at all.:drunk:

I have a bazooka filter (SS mesh) in the kettle for straining.

Normally I stain my wort with chocolate malt and black patent.

I made one of these from window screen.

Hop%20stopper.JPG

filter.JPG

anthrobe said:
My name is Bob and I like to stain....I mean strain my wort:D

I'm impressed by the people on this forum, for not coming off with a bunch of cracks about brown Kiwi shoe polish and such. Maybe everyone is still sober. I know I am.... lol

Lounge Lizard said:
I'm impressed by the people on this forum, for not coming off with a bunch of cracks about brown Kiwi shoe polish and such. Maybe everyone is still sober. I know I am.... lol
I'd have to say you're easily impressed...we can not come up with a whole lot more than that. :D

Not a thing. It all goes into the brew tank. I brew for two weeks and by the time it is done, everything is on the bottom, and I siphon carefully.

You really cant go too far wrong with the good old cheese cloth. Cheep and Reliable. Sure there is premium quality, job specific equipment you can shell out for but you will pay premium price for it too.

swirl, cool, and aim the racking cane above the trub/hop level...

transfering from primary to secondary and secondary to bottling bucket, i just aim the cane above the yeast cake, and slowly tip the carboy as the level decreases to suck out as much beer as i can, leaving the yeasties behind.

Back