How to improve recipe - beer described as watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenabney

Reaction score
My wife and I rate this first attempt at our dark heff as a success. Very tasty. However, it could use some improvement. We both think it was heavy on the roasted flavor, so we're probably going to reduce the choc malt or go with a lighter Munich.

She says it seemed watery. How can I give this more flavor/body/idk what? :)

Here's the recipe...

2lb Wheat DME
1lb Dark Munich
.25lb Chocolate Malt
1 oz Hallertuaer hops
WLP300 Hefeweizen IV ale yeast

2.5 Gallon OG - 55 FG - 12

*Second attempt will be all grain, not extract. I partial mashed the Munich.

Thanks!

That is too much chocolate, .25 would be good in a 5 gallon batch for that style. You do not have enough wheat dme, add a pound. You may need to boil harder.

Give it some time too. Its amazing what a thin-bodied, disappointing beer can develop into after some good old fashioned patience.

My recent dunkelweizen tasted really thin about two weeks into bottle conditioning; a few days later it was silky and creamy and perfect. A little time could do wonders.

As for the roastiness, there really shouldn't be any in that style. I think you would do better with lighter Munich and maybe a touch of pale chocolate for color adjustment.

I recently did one that's 2 weeks in the bottle and very promising. I used carafa III for colour

My wife and I rate this first attempt at our dark heff as a success. Very tasty. However, it could use some improvement. We both think it was heavy on the roasted flavor, so we're probably going to reduce the choc malt or go with a lighter Munich.

She says it seemed watery. How can I give this more flavor/body/idk what? :)

Here's the recipe...

2lb Wheat DME
1lb Dark Munich
.25lb Chocolate Malt
1 oz Hallertuaer hops
WLP300 Hefeweizen IV ale yeast

2.5 Gallon OG - 55 FG - 12

*Second attempt will be all grain, not extract. I partial mashed the Munich.

Thanks!

Like the rest said wait till ins been in the bottle for at least 4 weeks, then chill for 3/4 day then re-evaluate.

Back