Saison done fermenting (3711) - should I keep at 80deg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkb

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm fermenting a saison - using 3711. I have it in a water bath with an aquarium heater and a small power head to move the water around (works fantastically by the way!) and it was slowly ramped up to 80 deg over a week and has been at that temp for about 8 days.

Question is...

It's done fermenting (2 weeks - and currently sitting steady at 1.002). Should I keep it at 80 deg until I keg it, or should I lower down to ambient temp to condition for a week or two (ambient temp in the basement is about 68 deg.).

Any ideas?

Cheers!

With confirmed completion of fermentation I would allow it to naturally cool down and this will help clear the beer, go a week or so and then package

I have it in a water bath with an aquarium heater and a small power head to move the water around (works fantastically by the way!)

Can you explain more about what you're using to move the water around? I'm not sure what a small power head is but have thought about trying to find something to swirl the water a bit...

And I always give mine a week at room temp after fermentation is done for the yeast to clean up / floc out / etc. Not sure if it's necessary but seems to work well for me.

Hey thanks for the responses guys -

ChessRockwell - my powerhead is basically a small propeller water jet thing - it was about $30 and simply plugs into the wall - It does a great job of circulating the water past the aquarium heater and keeps all of the water pretty much the exact same temp. Way easier to maintain temps, and bring up to a high temp quickly and easily.

I can't remember the brand of it - but just google aquarium powerheads - you'll find a bunch of them.

Cheers!

Back