3068 wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How "big" was your weizenbock? In general you want to go from a lower gravity to higher gravity beer and once you get to really high gravity beers your poor yeast is pretty much pooped out and toxic from the alcohol. You could use it to create a starter for your honey weiss and then you'd be sure to have healthy yeast to pitch.

67coupe390 said:
A starter is a good idea. Will 3068 be good for a honeyweiss?

From austinhomebrew.com

Probable origin: Weihenstephan, Germany
Beer Styles: German Hefeweissen, Crystal weisse, Dunkel weisse, Weisenbock
Commercial examples may include: Ayinger Weissebeer, Tabernash Wheat, Sandwald, Erdinger Weisse, Schneider Weisse
Unique properties: A classic German wheat beer yeast that is used by more German brewers than any other strain in the production of wheat beer. Its properties are dominated by banana ester production, phenols and clove-like characteristics. An extremely attenuative yeast, it produces a tart thirst quenching finish. It is also an extremely low floccing yeast that remains in suspension readily with proteinacous wheat malt. This yeast is sometimes used in conjunction with lager yeast and krausened to finish the beer and to improve the overall dryness. High CO2 levels, typically at 2.7 - 3.2 volumes, is desirable for best presentation. Since this is a true top cropping yeast, it requires full headspace of 33%. Ester formation is significantly affected by aeration and pitching rates. Crystal weisse production typically requires DE filtration, and may prove too difficult for Pad filtration only. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (64-75 F, 18-24 C)

I guess it would depend on what your honey weiss base is and just what kind of flavors you want from the yeast... Personally I think honey flavor would go great with this yeast... My failed mash weizenbock tasted really banana=y then about 2 weeks later it all blended great...

What's your Honey Weiss recipe?

I really think 3068 is a bad choice for a honey wheat. This style is of wheat is an American beer brewed with a clean ale yeast to allow the subtle honey flavor to come through. Using something like a 3068 will just over power the honey and defeat the purpose of what I consider a premium adjunct.

PT Ray said:
I really think 3068 is a bad choice for a honey wheat. This style is of wheat is an American beer brewed with a clean ale yeast to allow the subtle honey flavor to come through. Using something like a 3068 will just over power the honey and defeat the purpose of what I consider a premium adjunct.
What if I add extra honey to compensate?

67coupe390 said:
Adding honey will really mostly serve to raise your OG and dry out the flavor of the beer. Adding more sugars will simply make the yeast propagate more and let off more of their flavors. You might get a little extra honey flavor, but you'd be massively changing the character of your brew and you'd still get the hefe flavors dominating.

67coupe390 said:

I really shoud have said 3068 is not the "best" choice. If your looking to just to get some mileage out of the yeast, I would go for it. I stopped going out of my way years ago to make a brew according to style and just focus on making good beer while maximizing my ingredients.

If you feel you have a solid recipe, leave it be. Yes 3068 may not be the best choice for a honey wheat but it is more important to have enough good healthy yeast for proper fermentation. I apologize for sounding like changes needed to be made, just more of a what to expect.

PT Ray said:
I really shoud have said 3068 is not the "best" choice. If your looking to just to get some mileage out of the yeast, I would go for it. I stopped going out of my way years ago to make a brew according to style and just focus on making good beer while maximizing my ingredients.

If you feel you have a solid recipe, leave it be. Yes 3068 may not be the best choice for a honey wheat but it is more important to have enough good healthy yeast for proper fermentation. I apologize for sounding like changes needed to be made, just more of a what to expect.
Thanks for the great info, thats why we are here!!!:mug: I'll give it a shot!:)

Back