NB Chinook IPA - Comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conebone69

Reaction score
I may give this a try. I'm looking for a hoppy but not way over the top hoppy beer. I'll be kegging.

I want to buy thru northern brewer.

Any other extract suggestions?

Is it an all-Chinook IPA? I brewed an all-Chinook pale ale and wasn't too crazy about it. Chinook is a love it or hate it hop imo.

It's great if you like Chinook, the fact that it's lower gravity than a normal IPA is a plus for me.

I was a little disappointed with it, but I've read posts where people liked it. There was no real hop nose, and I expected a stronger hop taste. Maybe I just don't like Chinook hops. It's definitely drinkable, but I've brewed better. I'm going to brew NB's Warrior IPA next. :tank:

I have brewed the extract kit from NB. It was over a year and a half ago, but I remember I liked it. It wasn't an over the top IPA, but it was an IPA, not an APA. Since I don't know you it's hard to say what you'd be happy with, but I can say that I ordered the kit based on the description in their catalog and I wasn't disappointed.

I say do it.

I recently used this recipe but I added an additional oz. Chinook during the boil and a ridiculous 1.5 oz chinook leaf PLUS a 1.5 oz. citra leaf dry hopped directly in the keg. A friend called it similar to a Magic Hat No. 9 it had so much fruitiness to it. It was as hoppy as anything I've made so far.

Then this is a good one! Pulls no punches though. If your not in for grapefruit yummy hop punch in the face then this may not be for you. I love it and my typical m.o. Is to add another several oz of hop. give it a go!

Buy yourself an ounce or two of another hop (Columbus perhaps) and after primary fermentation if you are not wild about the Chinook only profile, add the Columbus as a dry hop. I like the combo of the two. I'm actually not a big fan of single hop beers, maybe with Mirror Pond being an exception.

Agree with others - Chinook is not a subtle hop and has a lingering bitterness some find off-putting. The only way you will know is to try it. I personally love me some Chinook!

Brewed this one back in August, really enjoyed it. A bunch of friends tried it and loved it. All positive reviews. Only have about a sixer left, will probably brew it again.

Back