using a belgian dark recipe without belgian yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
have recently begun brewing more after a long year of not brewing (only 2 batches in 14 months). have a long list of things I want to try and was looking at some recipes. My wife does not like darker beers because she is very taste sensitive to the burnt or roasted flavor, she does enjoy english browns etc. I was looking at some recipes and passed up a couple of dark belgian recipes that look good because I really do not like the belgian yeast taste. so then got to thinking what would a recipe for a belgian dark strong taste like with either an american ale yeast or an english ale yeast. Has anyone ever brewed something similar? (I'm fairly sure someone has) and what were the results? this is several recipes down on my list if I try it and will probably be in the winter so any experiences would be helpful.

Even without looking a a specific recipe, I would still say yeah this will probably work. Belgian recipe grain bills are not really weird in any way. For a a typical dark Belgian ale, there will be a lot of Pilsner and Munich base malt, plus some CaraMunich for body/sweetness. Just up the hops to 25-30 IBU, throw in some English yeast and call it a Hobgoblin clone. It won't be exact (you might need to add some toasted grains like Biscuit or Victory) but it will make a great beer.

pretty much what I was hoping. was going to use a witbread strain with the initial recipe ( again I do not have one right now just bypased a few as i was looking last week) for 2.5 G and then make slight adjustment for the next full batch 5G

Back