First all grain biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyjeni

Reaction score
Being relatively new to brewing I have decided to move from extract brews to all grain biab. Because of space and funds I have been using the Mr. Beer kits but I feel like it's time for a change. I have found some great looking recipes but they're all 5 gallon recipes. Is there a calculator/program out there that will reduce the amounts of ingredients and water to a mr. B friendly amount? Don't worry, I'm sure some of you are thinking I'm crazy for sticking with the smaller amounts but I don't see the need (and don't have the space, truth-be-told) for a 5 gallon setup. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am unfamiliar with the Mr. Beer kits but I would suggest moving to Partial Mashing before jumping into AG. BeerSmith has an option to convert AG and Extract but I personally have never used that option. Best thing would be to do some research on the overall grain bill for a recipe and it would just be simple math to figure out the ratio you are needing for a smaller batch... say 3/5 or something like that.

wilserbrewer said:
You can scale recipes down to 2.5 gallons from 5 by simply dividing by 2. If you want to complicate it, you can do that as well.:mug:

Too simple. New toys and programs are fun. :)

Back